Talk

Advanced search

Make-up in year 7?

(16 Posts)
Needafiltercoffee Fri 22-Apr-16 15:56:20

My dd has been upset this week by class room peers telling her she should "wear some make-up, get her eyebrows threaded and shave her legs" She's 11 in year 7 and this was all in a maths lesson!! I tell her there's plenty time for all of that and I allow some make-up (mascara & lip gloss) for parties etc. so I'm not prudish but I feel this is too young for full blown foundation/eyeliner etc. Aibu?

kimlo Fri 22-Apr-16 16:00:50

Out of school my year 7 dd wears full make up, but no foundation. She has shaved her legs since year 6.

In school she sometimes wears mascara, but the school are quiet strict.

I dont think its too young, all of her friends are the same. I wont let her touch her eyebrows though.

Lookingagain Fri 22-Apr-16 16:03:35

In our house it would be too young. My DD is also yr7, none of her friends are wearing any makeup at all, so she doesn't want to either. I think peer group makes a big difference.

Obs2016 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:13:49

Ds1(Year 7) informs me that a lot of girls were make up, quite a few of them have been told off for the amount they wear. Of course some don't wear any at all, but there are few of those.

AuntieStella Fri 22-Apr-16 16:19:09

I'd be more cross about this happening in a lesson, tbh.

DD has started to try wearing make up younger than I would have liked, but I made a decision not to get into a big fight about anything that comes off. She's not allowed to wear any to school.

tumpymummy Sat 23-Apr-16 12:52:47

I guess it depends on peer pressure and whether your daughter wants to wear makeup or not? DD11 (Year 7) wears makeup sometimes if we are going out somewhere special now, but I've said she's not allowed to wear it to school. Although I know lots of her peers do. But fortunately the school rule is not much makeup allowed. Like AuntieStella I would have preferred to wait until she is older but I can understand if all her friends are doing it; I don't want her to be left out.
She has also been expilating legs since last summer before she went to senior school and I took her to have her eyebrows threaded last month. But that's because she's hairy (like me) and I didn't want her to be teased at school like I was.
What I would hope though is that she is not one of the girls saying to others (like your daughter) that she should be doing it too. It should be down to the child and what each family is comfortable with.

FarAwayHills Sun 24-Apr-16 08:43:32

DD Y7 has started wearing some make up. I really don't like it and think she's a bit young but I've decided as long as it's minimal it's not worth the battle. I also don't want her taking it to school and applying it in secret as some of her friends who's parents don't allow make up do grin

Needafiltercoffee Mon 25-Apr-16 20:57:54

Thanks for all your replies. My daughter seems to agree with me for the moment and is not putting make up on for school. I think I'll monitor the situation for a few weeks and if it happens again I'll contact the school querying their no make up policy. I've given her some nice body moisturiser for her legs to make her feel nice. I just feel 11 is too young for anything more than that.

BeauGlacons Mon 25-Apr-16 21:06:26

I think it's far too young and mine didn't and still doesn't in 6th form. But I have let her shave pits and shave/wax legs from Y6. She was an early developer. I've also bought her nice make-up and paid for proper make-up lessons. She's also had a manicure and has had highlights since she was 15.

I'm totally happy to help her make the very best of herself and to make sure that when she wears makeup it's natural and flattering.

Most of the time she can't be arsed. Possibly because it isn't forbidden. Most of her friends are similar.

Needafiltercoffee Tue 26-Apr-16 09:10:53

Thanks again. Beau, you sound a really nice mum!

Namechangingbastard Tue 26-Apr-16 09:13:42

I think it's too young but my middle dd has worn a full face of make up since year 8 as do all her friends. I hate it but it's a small thing I guess.

Cocochoco Sun 15-May-16 13:32:40

My dd wears mascara, neutral shadow, and neutral lipstick to school. I agreed to this as all her friends do and I though it was better to agree simple make-up and avoid too many arguments. Plus I thought the lipstick would wear off by the time she arrived at school!

That was Septrmber and now she wears eyebrow make-up and we have loads of rows about foundation, blusher etc. She tries to leave before we notice what she's put on and there's often a last-minute flannel wash at the door. She also takes lipstick to school and reapplies it, in class!!!

I hate it and wish the school would have some kind of rule about it but basically anything goes. One of her friends wears thick painted eyebrows and full make-up including red lipstick. She's 11.

I am going to stop dd taking the lipstick to school but the eyebrows thing seems to be hugely important to her. I'm not sure what the answer is but at the moment I'm just endlessly repeating my no-face-make-up rule and pointing out how bad it is for young skin.

JustDanceAddict Sun 15-May-16 20:10:19

DD is 13 & she wears cover up & mascara. Has only got into it recently. She isn't keen on lipstick thankfully!!

ArmfulOfRoses Sun 15-May-16 20:32:27

My dd is 12.
She has had her eyebrows subtly waxed at a salon for about 18 months as her thick and dark monobrow bothered her, and I remember taking a razor to mine at around the same age.

I taught her to shave her legs after she asked me what she could do about how hairy they were around 12 months ago.
I gave her hair removal options and she picked shaving.

She asked about make up in year 7, we spent a couple of hours in town getting a very lightly tinted moisturiser, concealer, clear mascara and a lip balm.
She has pocket money and goes to town and I didn't want her ending up with thick, wrong shade foundation etc.

I know lots of people might not find this, but dd hasn't shaved her legs in maybe 3 months, isn't on at me the second an eyebrow hair is out of place, and rarely bothers with anything more than lip balm and that's only if she has sore lips.

I haven't turned her into some sort of mini beauty queen that's older than her years, but she does know that I will compromise with her and help.

I was/am very dark haired, and remember the misery only too well.

SnowyDeer Fri 20-May-16 19:37:06

I think foundation and eyebrows may be a bit far. My dd has a concealer just in case she has an obvious spot etc (she rarely has them and everyone notices) and wears eyeshadow, lipstick and stuff but not at school. I think different peer groups have different views and it can be quite tricky. I think let her but limit it.

AnstasiaBartAraminta Thu 02-Jun-16 21:14:12

I think it's fine, I had been getting my eyebrows waxed since 4thgrade (y5) and have been wearing proper makeup (foundation etc) since 6th grade (y7) the more you forbid it and act like what she thinks is an old granny, the more she'll want to do it, if all her friends are doing it and you won't allow her to, her friends will make fun of her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now