Talk

Advanced search

Getting ready for first period, pads or tampons?

(29 Posts)
Karen333 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:38:07

Hi,

My daughter is 9 and I thought I would get prepared for her first period.

I would prefer her to start off with natural pads or tampons but have read that young girls should not use tampons. I hated pads. My daughter swims a lot and I'm also thinking of PE at school but I'm not sure whether she should use them or not.

It may not happen for a long time yet but I want to be prepared (we have nothing in the house because I had a hysterectomy so don't have to worry about periods anymore, thank god!)

Any advice about tampons please?

Thanks

usual Tue 12-Apr-16 11:39:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 12-Apr-16 11:41:52

Bloody hell I'm nearly 50 and I've never got the hang of tampons, pads rule!

NotJanine Tue 12-Apr-16 11:44:23

I hated pads too - wearing them for sport is just horrible. We had to wear the old style sports knickers too, so they were obvious (bringing back grim memories!)

Why can't young girls use tampons?

mudandmayhem01 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:47:25

I used tampons from my first period, just give her the choice. I think some of the anti tampon feeling for young girls, is the outdated notion is that a girl isn't a virgin if she uses a tampon.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 12-Apr-16 11:50:09

I found them really uncomfortable, and I know someone who died using them. I know that's very rare but I wouldn't encourage my DDs to use them

dementedpixie Tue 12-Apr-16 11:51:26

I would start with pads but get some tampons in as well and see which she would prefer. Dd has only used tampons once and only because we were on holiday and she wanted to go in the pool. You get lite tampons that are thinner that might be good to start with

BayeauxT Tue 12-Apr-16 21:35:51

Before my mum gave me some tampons (aged 11 or 12) I felt like my life was over, I hated pads that much. I have bought DD 11 a little Lillets teen set that has a selection of pads and tampons so she can decide what works best for her.

CountryLovingGirl Wed 13-Apr-16 13:39:27

Pads.

I could never wear tampons! Ever! I am now 44 and mum of 2.

scribblegirl Wed 13-Apr-16 13:57:29

Everyone's different. I loathe pads. Loathe them. The idea of sitting there marinating in my own menstrual blood... Ick. Used tampons from my second period and didn't look back until I got a mooncup 12 years later!

With that in mind I absolutely think you should have some lite tampons as an option.

On the other hand, my sister has had periods for 10 years and still uses pads because she can't get past the idea of "touching and putting something up there" (I did ask how she managed sex but got a hmm in return!!). Now, I would always encourage tampon use due to sport and not wanting to encourage girls to feel uncomfortable with their own bodies - BT like I say, everyone is different! Some hate the sensation. Basically this is an epic-ly long post to say get both grin

StrapOnDodo Wed 13-Apr-16 14:26:40

I never had a choice-I need both tampons and pads and even then I know I can't last the night without a blood bath.

StrapOnDodo Wed 13-Apr-16 14:26:41

I never had a choice-I need both tampons and pads and even then I know I can't last the night without a blood bath.

StrapOnDodo Wed 13-Apr-16 14:27:02

Oops, double postedblush

numnuts23 Wed 20-Apr-16 16:08:41

OMG you shld get her a First Period Box!! So good as has a selection of everything. I got one for my DD and it came with all types of tamps and pads, book on puberty, pants for doing sport, cute bracelet (nearly pinched it myself wink) and load s more stuff. Its made by this compnay www.sanitaryowl.com/first-period-box and it got really great messaging. Very positive and makes it not at all scary. I personally hated my period for so many years and dont want my DD to feel the same.

Karen333 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:41:57

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am keen to start her off with eco friendly products if possible so I am looking into organic options with no chemicals in. I haven't found any kind of starter pack for eco brands which seems a shame because they are a good idea.
Looks like putting together my own pack!

Karen333 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:43:17

Sorry to hear that, may I ask what happened please?

CalibratedNellyphant Wed 20-Apr-16 20:51:15

I discussed it with my DD who is 10 and we have decided on pads to start off with to get her used to it.
She has her own special box with pads, and some tampons all different brands so when she is ready she will have a choice. I plan to do the dame with my younger DD soon as it seems to have worked well for eldest so far.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Wed 20-Apr-16 21:05:49

Whilst I use any tampons now, I couldn't physically use them until I lost my virginity. And that was with the tiny lite ones that were teeny tiny. Though that wouldn't stop me seeing if any dd's wanted to try using them.

jollyfrenchy Thu 21-Apr-16 22:46:27

I also used tampons from very first period, only time I ever used pads was post birth. Now use a mooncup and hoping I can encourage my girls to use one too when they are old enough. Meluna apparently do small ones for girls. Absolutely no reason why young girls shouldn't use tampons as long as they know how to be safe. By the way cups carry no risk of tss, one of many reasons I would prefer it if poss.

HoodedRat Thu 21-Apr-16 22:50:36

First few periods can be very very light, spotty, intermediate, not much volume, and not red blood. Tampons would hurt coming out. I would bias towards pads (or even panty-liners, if it's light enough). But making sure nice slim tampons are easily available and she knows how to use them if/when she wants them.

HoodedRat Thu 21-Apr-16 22:51:40

intermediate intermittent

Cathpot Mon 23-May-16 21:31:04

Has anyone got any experience of THINX pants? They claim to be leak proof and to absorb blood behind a one way layer. I had a look at the website the other day and wondered if they might be worth getting for DD to save her worrying about leaks etc ( thinking ahead she's 11 and hopefully there is still a way to go) . They seem pricey though and I don't know anyone who has used them. Also maybe a bit tight and therefore fusty?

TurquoiseMoon Mon 30-May-16 13:05:01

I started on tampons - I'd just ask her... I don't know why people assume you should start on pads

donkir Mon 30-May-16 13:37:53

https://www.facebook.com/sillypandaco/
Try these. I've used pads for 20+ years as I can't get on with tampons but find normal pads sweaty and smelly. I've just got a trial pack of cloth pads and I think they're fab. So comfy.

AnstasiaBartAraminta Mon 30-May-16 16:34:48

I would start her on pantyliners and pads, and move on to tampons, I would also consider a menstrual cup, they are like tampons but as they're not absorbant they have no risks and they're also made from medical grade silicone so are fully safe. They can also be used on a dry run, or for discharge. My 15 year old sister uses these and she says they're really good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now