Advanced search

Jemma or Gemma

(9 Posts)
KatieLouiseW Sat 05-Dec-15 14:52:41

I know people will say Gemma, because it's easier, but SIL is Gemma

KatieLouiseW Sat 05-Dec-15 14:53:04

Oops, wrong category! Sorry

tribpot Sat 05-Dec-15 14:56:32

This did seem an odd question for Preteens. Usually you have already decided by then grin

Personally I like the name Jemima, would be tempted to go for Jemma as a nickname of that.

The problem of the name being basically the same as your SIL won't go away whichever way you spell it, of course.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sat 05-Dec-15 14:58:23

Jenna as an alternative?

tribpot Sat 05-Dec-15 15:12:38

I think Jenna could be even more complicated with a family member called Gemma. A lifetime of 'no, JeNNNNNa' would await - and not just when writing it down but when people are speaking to her as well. At least with Jemma/Gemma it's "only" a written issue.

KatieLouiseW Sat 05-Dec-15 15:28:47

We always call her big Gemma anyways, she's super tall! So, I figured we could call her little Jemma grin

leaningtoweroflego Sat 05-Dec-15 15:31:52

Gemma.

It still sounds like the same name, so what difference does it really make if you spell it differently?

And Gemma is the usual spelling of Jemma. I'd wonder whether the parents were literate if I saw Jemma (apologies to any Jemmas, and I'll await the posts telling me it's actually a well known alternative!)

KatieLouiseW Sat 05-Dec-15 15:33:48

It is a well known alternative smile and I like Jemma - I think it looks more pretty

littleducks Sat 05-Dec-15 15:38:39

I think Jemima known as Jemma might be a good way to go, gives options if she didn't want to be the sane as Auntie Gemma later on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now