Talk

Advanced search

parents who have been through the preteen years - please post some positive stories that they turned out all right

(12 Posts)
voluptuagoodshag Fri 09-Oct-15 23:13:20

Dd being awful. She has always been quick to ignite over nothing and as her Mum I bear the brunt of it. Now, as she is going through puberty and has started her periods, it's just shit! There are very few nice moments and even then, these are fleeting and you know there will be a big meltdown again to take away any cosy warm feeling.
So, I'm not going to dwell on the negatives. I know I need to ride it out, set the boundaries, disengage from arguments etc. Etc but I need to hear some light at the end of the tunnel stories please, just to keep me going.
Positive stories only please.

voluptuagoodshag Fri 09-Oct-15 23:21:41

No positive stories? Anyone? Anywhere?

voluptuagoodshag Sat 10-Oct-15 14:56:16

Bump for the day crowd

Sage44 Sat 10-Oct-15 21:06:07

Bumping for you, am fast approaching the same situation.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 10-Oct-15 21:23:29

Had an awful time with DS from Year 5 till Year 10. Hated his sister; hated me. Fortunately still loved GM and the dog!

After 'totally overreacting' according to both DC (and working out DS most likely has misophonia) I focused on keeping channels of communication open.

Hey presto, around about Easter this year the sun came out metaphorically speaking. It had been peeping through the clouds for a while but now I feel like I have my gorgeous, fun son back!

Now fearfully waiting for DD to go through her phase!

BackforGood Mon 19-Oct-15 18:45:38

I have a LOVELY 19 yr old ds, who was a nightmare until he got to be about 14/15.

(Does that help? grin )

voluptuagoodshag Tue 20-Oct-15 12:31:39

Thanks, it all helps grin

1woozle Tue 20-Oct-15 12:42:54

DD was a nightmare at home from the age of 11-16 years. My kitchen door is damaged from the many occasions that she flounced out slamming the door behind her (sometimes returning to slam the door again for extra effect). She would also weep loudly for hours on end for no apparent reason. At school (and most other places) she was an angel. She had a really negative effect on family life for a while.

At about 16 she started to become human again. She is now 19 and we get on really well. She is funny, clever and well-balanced - I'm really proud to be her mum. Hang in there flowers

voluptuagoodshag Wed 21-Oct-15 18:48:46

1woozle I want to hug you. Sounds exactly like my dd

BackforGood Wed 21-Oct-15 22:58:49

1Woozle - that's funny - I've just called my handyman / builder to put right all the damage to the walls and the door of ds's bedroom, now I think it will be safe from his anger grin

Joiningthegang Fri 20-Nov-15 23:50:22

Me me me !!! My dd as horrid pretty much from 9-12 (11 was worst) with glimpses of the nice girl we once knew (she was consistently great / lovely / pleasant / well mannered for everyone else)
My good news is that when she turned into an actual teenage she became nice again - yay!!!
The odd bout of misery ness and terrible pmt but so much nicer than the absolute cow she was from 9-11

HPsauciness Sat 02-Jan-16 03:43:13

I needed to read these in the middle of the night after another row with my dd! She is a lovely girl, so it's so frustrating to get locked in battle over really nothing, and her strong emotions. Hoping this is just the 9-11 period, my other dd was very difficult around age 10 as well and it has (mostly) passed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now