Advanced search

11 year old dd, school trip and periods

(9 Posts)
DorothyL Tue 09-Jun-15 11:48:35

Dd had her first period in February, age 11.6. They have since been fairly regular but it's very hard to predict when they will arrive. She is going on a school trip in 12 days' time and it's likely to have her period then - which is a shame because she suffers with cramps quite badly. What is the best thing to do - I hesitate getting the drug that delays your period because I'm not sure when to advise her to start taking it, and she is still so young! Should I advise her to take ibuprofen?

AngelinaCongleton Tue 09-Jun-15 11:52:08

heat pads for her tummy she can stick on, long lasting ibuprofen in the morning and maybe the calpol sachets to take with her? obviously pads etc.

DorothyL Tue 09-Jun-15 12:56:45

Are there heat pads that dont need a microwave?

happygirl87 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:03:02

I went on a ski trip at 13, having started my period at 10, my Mum got me the drugs and it was the best thing she'd ever done. I had previously gone on a trip at 11, had such bad cramps with no access to hot water bottle/bath that I got no sleep, vomited and had to miss the next day's activities, and was mortified. I say get the norethisterone.

happygirl87 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:04:12

My advice was assuming overnight trip, my day, I realised not specified. There are heat packs that don't need a microwave- they stick on to your skin/underwear depending on brand.

DorothyL Tue 09-Jun-15 14:10:52

It is for a week. I really would love to get it but when should she start taking it, it says three days before period starts but I have no idea when the next one will be?

DorothyL Tue 09-Jun-15 20:10:09


happygirl87 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:34:51

GP will advise- I think even if her period starts the norethisterone will make it stop, so could start 4 days before trip? If period starts before that, hopefully the worst will be over? flowers

Sidge Tue 09-Jun-15 22:45:14

They are very very unlikely to give an 11 year old norethisterone to delay her period. You could ask the GP though.

Otherwise you can take other medications to reduce the flow and cramping such as mefenamic acid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: