Talk

Advanced search

DD age 11 - Make up

(15 Posts)
mankyscotslass Thu 11-Dec-14 10:23:42

Most of DD friends have been wearing make up for a while - not caked in it but certainly mascara, eyshadows and some blusher.

DD hasn't been allowed up til now (mean mum), but as she is starting High School next year I thought I might get her a few bits and pieces for her Christmas stocking.

I would like to get her something decent but not too expensive, but also a bit "trendy". Probably clear mascara, and natural eyeshadows or similar, and a decent non drying lipstick/gloss.

Any ideas

ihatethecold Thu 11-Dec-14 10:26:56

Super drug is great for that age.
Lots of choice and very cheap.
It's my DD's fav shop.

Cocolate Thu 11-Dec-14 10:27:51

Boots natural range is aimed at pre-teens/teens. And as far as I know is gentle enough. An eye lash curler is all my dd (12) is allowed unless for a special occasion - and pink vaseline.

mankyscotslass Thu 11-Dec-14 11:32:30

Thank you - I am planning on looking next week so will try Boots & Superdrug.

I'm not even sure she would wear the make up tbh, I think she probably just wants to be able to tell her friends she has it!

I was a bit shocked to hear the stories of the girls in the YR6 toilets putting on bronzer and lippy!

SavoyCabbage Thu 11-Dec-14 11:40:10

I'm getting my dd the bobbi brown teen make up book and a palette thing with eyeshadows and lip gloss and blusher. I want her to know how to do it all and to not fall in to the orange skin trap later on.

She's only 11 so I'm doing it more as a play thing at the moment. None of her friends have any make up and where I live none of the high school kids wear it.

I thought if I introduced it now it would be better as I still have control over her and she listens to me. This might not be the case at all when she's older!

Heyho111 Thu 11-Dec-14 12:44:14

When my daughter was 11 as a birthday treat she and a friend went to a beautician for a make up lesson. It wasn't just having their makeup done , they showed them how to put the makeup on and why they do it that way. They loved it. The results lasted all through her teen years.

elderflowergin Fri 12-Dec-14 16:21:11

My dd (11) wanted to start wearing some make up so she has a maybelline BBC cream, just to even out her skin and some cover up as she gets the odd spot, and she has a clear mascara. For her stocking I have got her some baby lips and eos lip balms. She also has lots of my old make up to 'play' with, with her friends, doing.makeovers when they sleepover but she doesn't wear that out. We have discussed how makeup can help you feel groomed and more confident, eg covering spots and having nice smooth lips but that she looks young and pretty and I don't want her to change her appearance.
I love wearing make up and we do both enjoy browsing in boots together but I want her to be confident in her looks and not feel she needs to wear lots of makeup on her lovely young skin.

Soveryupset Mon 15-Dec-14 14:01:15

Children at our school at not allowed makeup so that's easy for us.

However I have let my 5 and nearly 10 year old loose in the body shop, they have bought things like fruity lip gloss, sparkly hair spray, perfumes and hand cream. They seemed more than happy with those!!!

Dancergirl Tue 16-Dec-14 18:17:55

Body Shop is very expensive though!

I was in Superdrug the other day with my 13 year old who has just starting wearing a bit. There are so many different brands I got very confused. And I was supposed to be giving HER advice!

In the end she chose a mascara, concealer and lip gloss from Rimmel that was on 3 for 2.

Iheartautumn Thu 18-Dec-14 08:26:59

Miss sporty
Collection 2000
Natural collection
Some maybelline
Are the best ( and cheapest!) for that age smile

mankyscotslass Thu 18-Dec-14 11:58:02

Thank you flowers

MrsCakesPrecognition Thu 18-Dec-14 12:02:01

I've bought my 11 yo DD this set from Superdrug. Hopefully she can have an experiment without looking too clownish.
www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Studio-London-Fresh-Faced/p/928364

YorkshireAtHeart Sat 20-Dec-14 11:13:15

Bare minerals is excellent for Young skin plus they do a beginners kit containing blusher brushes eyeshadow foundation

annabanana19 Sat 27-Dec-14 20:14:36

my dd2 is 11 next month and likes hair & clothes. But she doesn't really wear any make up. She'd like to though! Might get her some for next Christmas as she will be in yr 7.

Octopus37 Tue 20-Jan-15 17:24:54

The MUA range in Superdrug is great btw, wear it all the time and I am 40 lol

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: