Talk

Advanced search

The End of Father Christmas

(7 Posts)
UsAndTwo Sat 15-Oct-11 17:36:53

I was prepared for when my eldest DD (now Yr7 but very young for her year) realised about Father Christmas and knew she would play along for her younger brother, but am now in the opposite situation where she still believes in him but my DS (yr4) doesn't. Should I ask him to keep quiet or do you think it is kindest to tell her now - as I am also bit concerned she may be teased if she starts talking about FC in front of some of the more mature girls in her year?

merrymonsters Sat 15-Oct-11 22:24:38

If she genuinely believes in FC in yr7, then I think it would be kinder to tell her the truth. She will look an idiot if she talks about Santa in secondary school.

pointydog Sat 15-Oct-11 22:28:33

I'd tell her. Save embarrassment.

scarevola Sat 15-Oct-11 22:44:57

Nick Libby Purves' idea: tell her, if an opportunity presents itself something along the lines of "Some people don't believe in Santa, which is a shame as he can't go to them. But parents usually take over so no one's disappointed on Christmas morning. Though of course it's never quite so good".

This will let her cling to half belief if she wants, but also means you're covered if drunk Santa wakes someone up blush.

Theas18 Mon 17-Oct-11 12:02:19

scarevola that's perfect!

I'm sure my 3 know and have been playing along to keep me happy for many years- it's lovely!

My mate has a 13yr old with learning difficulties (at a special school) and she tried to tell him before he went to secondary, she was terrified she'd upset him.He thought very long and hard before the next day announcing to a railway carriage full of people that "SHE will not be getting any Xmas presents this year because SHE doesn't believe in father Christmas" grin

mutha2two Tue 18-Oct-11 21:40:52

I am reminded of my dear dad overhearing a conversation I was having with my DS1 about the existence of FC. He said "Mutha, are you still peddling that old fraud to your son?" IMO I think they can accommodate a dual theory of down the chimney/furtive parental Xmas eve activity in the dead of night simultaneously and play along, with the help of some bitten mince pies and carrots. It's no big deal really!

lillybloom Wed 19-Oct-11 16:38:49

I used to teach in secondary schools. The curriculum in S1 covered the origins of Santa. It might be worth telling her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now