Advanced search

What would you advise?

(6 Posts)
misstrunchball Fri 07-Oct-11 19:32:45

My friend who has a 12 yo son had a call from his school saying his life wasn't worth living and wanted to hang himself. They had a case of hanging last term so seem to be high alert. They told her that he wasn't happy at home, his older brother and sister pick on him and he never sees his dad. His dad has been gone from the family since he was 6 months old and he does see him at half terms and holidays owing to the sport that he and his siblings do at weekends. He is in the LSU at school and doesn't seem to have a particular friend, they change every week as they have fallen out. At primary school he had a good group of friends but they have gone to other schools and he seems to be having a hard time fitting in. He does seem to go to the pastoral care quite often and we are not sure if it's because they are nice to him.!

My friend spoke to him and he didn't know why he had said it as he seems to be perfectly happy at home. Yes, his siblings do fight with him but it is always half a dozen of one thing and six of another (if you know what I mean).

The school recommended that he see a doctor but my friend doesn't think this will help as he won't speak to one.

She has asked for my advice and I really don't know what to say. Does she ignore it or does she take him to talk to someone. He couldn't say why he said it and didn't seem to understand that by hanging himself would be final.

Can anybody help?

Uglymush Fri 07-Oct-11 19:39:45

Can the school not help with Educational Psychologist referral. I really think she needs to get him to talk to someone. This is a cry for help - whether the hanging himself was a misguided comment or not, there is obviously an underlying issue here.

MadameCastafiore Fri 07-Oct-11 19:42:25

Take him to the doct9ors and get him a referral to CAMHS.

misstrunchball Fri 07-Oct-11 20:03:00

She is going to ask for a referral to CAMHS and I will tell her about the Ed Psyc.

I can see where she is coming from by not believing it's a cry for help as i have know him since he was 2ish but you never know what's going on inside their heads do you!

What would be your advice on how to treat him in the meanwhile as these things can take a while to get sorted?

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Sat 08-Oct-11 21:46:28

It should only take a couple of weeks to get a referral to CAHMS. They are very good (in our area) and will take this seriously. This lad needs to get a referral ASAP, also has your friend spoken to the form tutor/head of year about this to get the school involved more?

Bossybritches22 Sat 08-Oct-11 21:56:21

Whatever the real reason bothering the young lad just showing him his concerns are acknowledged as real & worth talking over can calm things down.

It may be something & nothing to us adults but something as relatively small (to us) as others making family plans for holidays, when he only sees his Dad at w/e's may be enough to make him down.

CAHMS should get him seen asap & I bet they'll be a great help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now