Talk

Advanced search

First Bras - why do they all have padding?

(12 Posts)
vickyw11 Mon 03-Oct-11 22:30:17

My DD has been wearing crop tops for a couple of months now and will need to move on to "proper bras" soon. She has one proper bra (32 AA) and I was looking for more today. Most shops seem to have one choice of a plain white unpadded one and all the pretty ones have a slight padding. Even M & S ones were like this. Is there any need for this slight padding? Does it make them more comfortable or is it purely for show? Any advice from mums who's girl's are already wearing bras?

PonceyMcPonce Mon 03-Oct-11 22:32:12

I think it is to mask nipples tbh. My dd at 30a likes the ones that sort of smooth over nipple (of which she has more than boob!), especially as they can be awfully sensitive.

Not the undersides leopardskin ones though!

GypsyMoth Mon 03-Oct-11 22:32:41

Nipple sensitivity and to protect developing breast buds..... I remember how they hurt!

riomoonlight Mon 03-Oct-11 22:41:36

When young ladies are developing, their nipple are very pert! There is so much choice for girls these days. I started to develop about 9. My nipples were so very obvious and years of humilation and bullying followed.
Buy her one with just a little padding of modesty.

Madlizzy Mon 03-Oct-11 23:06:00

What the others said. My dd was thrilled when I bought her proper bras.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 04-Oct-11 08:53:44

I can recommend Debenhams for a good selection if that's any help. DD (28aa) was measured by a very nice woman.
She has four bras, all have slight padding for her delicate nipples. Two are plain white and two are blue and white stripes and dots.

Makiko Tue 04-Oct-11 09:00:36

Message withdrawn

vickyw11 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:56:17

Thanks everyone. I didn't think about nipple sensitivity. I did ask her this morning if her nipples were sore and she said "Mum, you're so random" so I guess that's a no at the moment.'

PonceyMcPonce Tue 04-Oct-11 15:59:01

Arf at random mum

lexcat Thu 06-Oct-11 21:29:38

Dd not sore all the time but her nipples swell when she gets slightly hot and becomes tender. She has croptops, padded and unpadded bras. Stared with crop tops but they are getting to get a bit small so started with 2 unpadded bra and when she wanted more the ones that fitted the best where padded (not really must to fill a bra yet). Dd will wear a bra most day's for comfort and she will always chose her padded ones as she say their more comfortable if she ever feels tender.

pineapplemango Thu 09-Feb-17 23:07:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Olivia2007 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:16:17

I'm having the same problem my 9 year old is a 30DD. All the bras are padded. I was looking for a non padded and non sores bra in her size but can't find one. Does anyone have any ideas of where to look?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now