Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for hobbies for 10yr old ds

(8 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Mon 08-Aug-11 17:02:25

I am trying to find something that will interest my ds. He has no hobbies or interests other than the x box. I don't want to be the kind of Mum that gives her child an interest but I am getting worried about him. He is becoming increasingly cheeky at home and I just feel like a postive influence would help eg sport. My dd rides and plays tennis and has made lots of friends.

I have suggested rugby, cricket, football, golf (did it for a couple of weeks), guitar, piano.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of what worked for you.

DottyDot Mon 08-Aug-11 17:06:01

Ds1 is 9.5 and he's just got an airfix plane kit and is getting quite into it - he's actually managing to do most of it by himself instead of bugging me... he's also just starting to get into Hornby train stuff, which we haven't got the room or money for, but at least it's an interest which is taking him away from the telly for a bit!

GypsyMoth Mon 08-Aug-11 17:19:17

My boys (and me and one of my dd's) love geocaching!!

Www.geocaching.com

AMumInScotland Mon 08-Aug-11 17:27:32

DS started getting into Games Workshop models at that kind of age - but that is quite a "detailed" sort of hobby, with a lot of reading rule-books and making/painting small models, so it really depends what you wna tout of a hobby for him?

Interacting with others?
Burning off energy / getting exercise?
Imrpoving focus and concentration?

A team sport might be good for cheekiness - they have to learn to play by the rules, and listen to the coach and referee. Find out what's available in your area and give him 2 or 3 choices!

DottyDot Mon 08-Aug-11 17:43:21

ooh yes - we've just discovered geocaching and all love it - it's completely addictive though, be warned grin

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-11 17:55:40

Radio Control cars?

DS progressed to a petrol powered car & a helicopter - still likes them now and he will be 16 next week.

PandaG Mon 08-Aug-11 18:00:43

DS is 11.6 and likes

Airfix
lego - especially technic and MIndstorms
cycle speedway
geocaching
science kits
outdoorsy stuff - such as cooking, rafting etc - done with scouts. In fact, would joining scouts be an option?

vickibear Fri 01-Jul-16 07:22:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now