Talk

Advanced search

Fashion. How to help dd

(21 Posts)
HarrietJones Sat 02-Jul-11 22:17:06

eithout pointing out she isn't fashionable and with me not having a clue either!

beachyhead Sat 02-Jul-11 22:26:45

How old is she? does she need to be fashionable yet?

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 03-Jul-11 07:36:31

I imagine it's just a question of 'fitting in'. My DD has her own very unique style of dressing herself. Some days she looks like a refugee from a ragbag, other days she looks pretty good.
IMO, unless she is going for the stripper look, give her gentle guidance and some money to spend if you have it.
[completley useless advice from me too, I am that refugee]

HarrietJones Sun 03-Jul-11 09:42:15

Yes , it's the 'fitting in'. She goes to senior school inSeptember & I'm thinking I don't know what's in/out in terms of bags/coats /trainers. She tends to be a jeans & tshirt type at weekends so that's ok.
She has reebok trainers which afaik are ok but I don't know any older ones to check.
We are getting DMs for school as they are sensible but don't look geeky!
Was thinking of an animal bag? Shop in town( only clothes shop) sells them which makes me think a few kids have them?

smokeandglitter Sun 03-Jul-11 20:38:58

Ask one of dd's friends mums with a 12-14 age child? Fashions differ from area to area, and from age to age. The shift from Primary to Secondary brings massive fashion changes, and tbh most people will be clueless until they get there. Clothing-wise, there's lots of bright colours and floral prints right now, but that will change as we move into september. smile One idea might be to get a large handbag/schoolbag from primark, they're always in fashion and seen as 'cool'.

HarrietJones Sun 03-Jul-11 20:54:12

No friends with older dds.
No primark either!

I'm going to eye up all the kids going into school when she goes for her trial day.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 04-Jul-11 05:09:40

Stealth photography wink. won't your plan fail though if they are all going in uniform?

HarrietJones Mon 04-Jul-11 07:36:57

Im starting simple, coats, bags, trainers. Rest has to be uniform.

Then I'll hunt down where teenagers meet. Seen some outside Tesco. Think the rest hide in fields.

MackerelOfFact Mon 04-Jul-11 07:53:37

If she has quite a casual style, surfy brands like Animal, Roxy or Hollister would be fine I reckon. Roxy in particular do some really pretty girly rucksacks: here, here, here and here for example.

HarrietJones Mon 04-Jul-11 09:13:22

Group of seniors passing my house this morning were Animal rucksacks. Later group had huge handbags.

Think I'll steer her to a rucksack. Probably more expensive but more practical.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 04-Jul-11 09:22:03

Loads of surf-style rucksacks round our way. DD has occasionally gone for a Monsoon beach-style bag, but comes back to the rucksack for comfort, thankfully.
Depends on where you live, but near us (rural Glos), there aren't many fashion plates going to school. As long as she doesn't turn up with a satchel and last year's beaten up shoes, she'll be fine < bitter memory >.

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 04-Jul-11 09:23:05

Little hair decorations and messy 'updos' seem to be popular also.

HarrietJones Mon 04-Jul-11 09:27:43

Oh no I hadn't even thought about hair! She does one style herself which is a bit 'straight'!

Her Dads gf is good at hair. Will get her to teach her some others!

WhatsWrongWithYou Mon 04-Jul-11 09:46:07

I honestly wouldn't worry about it - it's perfectly usual for the y7s to still look like little girls, and she'll catch on quickly as to what's 'in' depending on how interested - or bothered - she is.

Fennel Mon 04-Jul-11 09:53:14

My 11yo is massively unaware of fashion, uninterested in clothes, hair, cleanliness etc. I am a bit aware of this as she heads to secondary school but what I've suggested to her is that we wait til she starts in Sept before we buy new bag, or coat, or mobile phone, etc, to see what the others are getting and what's cool at that point.

But she's just not bothered. So I won't push it, if she's not unhappy about not looking exactly like all the other 11yo girls, and she does have friends, and she's not being teased, it might not be a problem. at primary she is quite different from the other girls and tends to play a lot with the boys, but doesn't get teased - apparently they are all used to her being a bit odd... So we'll just see how it goes at secondary.

my younger 2 girls are far more aware of trends, but dd1 the 11yo is in her own little world. She looks like a kid from a Swallows and Amazons book.

moonmother Mon 04-Jul-11 10:06:52

Have a DD (11)- here in Bedfordshire, bag wise they either go for Animal/Roxy etc type bags or the canvas bags with skulls, cartoon figures on.

coats - they don't wear them unless it's minus degrees, if it rains they use a brolly, if it's chilly they may chuck a hooded sweatshirt on.

Trainers- DD's got a plain pair of Reebok trainers for PE, out of school she wears converse.

Out of school attire- mainly skinny jeans and various t-shirts/ vests/ hooded sweatshirts here is the norm- if it's hot denim shorts. Layering is very in here at the mo ie vest with oversize t-shirt over the top, knotted at the side.

Hairwise- messy updo's are key with clips/bands etc in. DD's fave is this girl on you tube

www.youtube.com/user/bubzbeauty

she does some great easy styles.

If she's anything like the Yr6/7 girls here they are all just getting into fashion/hair/beauty at the moment - and that's all they seem to talk about .

grin

HarrietJones Mon 04-Jul-11 10:35:41

I still remember the trauma of the wrong trainers! I'm not going to push it but just making sure I don't buy the 'wrong' ones!

Fennel Mon 04-Jul-11 10:39:27

My parents were the type who thought fashion shouldn't matter, and would just buy us Sensible Clothes and bags. So I am aware what it's like as a teenager with a parent who's not clued up on teenage trends. But the fact that you're aware of this and concerned about it probably means that she'll be OK, you can help her through it.

I spent hours unpicking my sensible expensive school satchel, my mum kept sewing it up, I kept unpicking it surreptitiously, eventually she gave up and I got a trendy new bag. It just wouldn't have crossed her mind that bags mattered.

startail Tue 06-Sep-11 00:06:07

I can't help you I'm afraid I'm trapped between a 13 yearold DD who doesn't do fashion and a 10 year old DD who absolutely does.
DD1 wears a denim mini skirt and a vest tor T shirt when its hot and jeans and a checked shirt over a vest top when its cooler. If its very cold she chucks on the same black hoody she's had since she was 10. Smart equals leggings under a couple of tunic dresses. This collection will be worn until it falls apart regardless of the current fashion.
Meanwhile, DD2 will have mixed, matched and layered the contents of her large wardrobe into a dozen variations from pretty little girl to very dodgy rock chick, with hair, jewellery and occasionally make up to match and I won't have cleared the breakfast things. Worst of all 90 % of her efforts will look good. Some won't be leaving the house due to turning age 7 shorts into hot pants, but I have to admit she has style.

3monkeys Wed 07-Sep-11 15:05:42

I want a girl that's willing to dress like a girl!
DD is 10, she has 2 brothers and everyone at home is football and cricket mad. She plays both, has decided to give up dancing, and won't wear anything from a girls shop - all boys from Next or football stuff.
Do i just leave it for now? Every so often I try to get her in something with a skirt and we argue

fasn8tor Fri 21-Oct-11 10:19:09

LOL startail that made me laugh as you have described my top two dds perfectly grin so glad to hear there is another dd1 like mine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now