Talk

Advanced search

Book recommendations please!

(3 Posts)
TiredMonkey Thu 02-Jun-11 10:48:56

I have a dd aged 10 (almost 11), who is starting to develop. I've had a bit of a chat with her about things, but would like to make sure that she fully understands periods before she starts, as I didn't (mum didn't talk about such things) and consequently I found it all a bit terrifying.

My DS is away on a school trip in a couple of weeks and am planning to have another talk with her then, while we have some time just me and her, but would quite like to order a book for her to read or for us to go through together to help with it.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received smile

exexpat Thu 02-Jun-11 11:02:30

We have this one - What's happening to me?. Fairly comprehensive, nicely matter-of-fact about everything, covers pretty much all aspects of puberty and growing up from a girl's point of view.

A few of the Amazon reviews complain that it mentions things like masturbation or what it means to be gay (not in any detail) but by 10 or 11 I think they need to know that anyway. (DD read it when she was 6 or 7).

TiredMonkey Thu 02-Jun-11 20:35:18

Thank you exexpat. I have ordered it, along with another book that amazon recommended with it.

As far as I'm concerned sexuality and masturbation are a part of basic sex education anyway, so that's not a worry for me at all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now