Talk

Advanced search

Cheap school holiday ideas for older children?

(16 Posts)
DrGruntFotter Thu 26-May-11 21:16:46

Message withdrawn

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 31-May-11 13:50:06

If you have room, I would suggest a trampoline. Ensure you get a cage for it, DDs friend broke her arm a couple of weeks ago and needed a surgery to fix it.

dizzymac Tue 31-May-11 13:53:23

We have recently discovered that our local sports centre has roller skating sessions on a weekly basis. They are quite reasonably priced at about £3 including skates. DD is hoping to go more often.
Our sports centres also do lots of activities during holidays aimed at teens. They look quite good and also good value. Yours might have something similar.

DrGruntFotter Tue 31-May-11 15:35:53

Message withdrawn

rubyrubyruby Tue 31-May-11 15:42:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

highhopes2010 Thu 02-Jun-11 23:43:34

Have you got a stream near you?my ds 10 loves getting old clothes,old trainers on(and his friends)and walking down(or up?)the stream.I walk on the bank at the side of them to check they're ok.our dog loves it too.just walk as far as you can.doesnt sound like much but when he's bored and in there he loves it.

WhatsWrongWithYou Thu 02-Jun-11 23:46:51

Invest in some Nerf guns - hours of endless fun!

DrGruntFotter Fri 03-Jun-11 08:49:02

Message withdrawn

anewyear Sat 04-Jun-11 08:40:55

Mine are also 9 & 12, they love water too, last year we brought a 10ft pool for them £30 I think it was they spent most of the summer in the pool.

DrGruntFotter Sat 04-Jun-11 10:31:35

Message withdrawn

CeliaFate Mon 06-Jun-11 14:54:21

Camping? Pitch a cheap tent in the garden with some sleeping bags (you as well!) and build a campfire.

DrGruntFotter Wed 08-Jun-11 16:41:01

Message withdrawn

fluffyhamster Wed 08-Jun-11 16:47:26

Ooh - great thread... mine (DSs) will be 9 and 11.5 this summer, so I have exactly the same dilemma...

- Bike rides/ picnics
- Do you have a tree you could hang a tyre swing - ours has proved surprisingly popular!
- tennis in the park
- table tennis (if you've got a big table you can use)
- what about Geo-caching? I signed up, but haven't done it yet, but think the boys would like it...

To be honest, I should probably just work my way through DS1's Scout Handbook and do all the things they need to do for badges, as that's the sort of stuff he'd like anyway (woodwork/ cooking / camping etc)

Is there anywhere near you you could (cheaply) take out canoes/roeing boats?

fluffyhamster Wed 08-Jun-11 16:51:26

I find it's also helpful if I can find a 'reason' for doing something. Last summer I found a few children's photography competitions, and we went out taking lots of photos of nature for them to send in. They didn't win anything, but it was a good excuse to do it in the first place.

Do you have a local Wildlife trust? They often have local events in the holidays.

DrGruntFotter Wed 08-Jun-11 17:12:22

Message withdrawn

fluffyhamster Wed 08-Jun-11 20:20:51

My two seem to spend quite a lot of time on wet afternoons making animations with Lego minifigures, or various other models or drawings.
They got this animation software for Christmas Hue Animation and although it was a bit expensive it really has been well used, and it's very very easy. They have fun recording sound effects and voiceovers, and they then upload and share their mini movies with friends.

On one occasion in the past we had a grandparent who wasn't very well at home, so I got them to put together a 'concert' for them, which they then 'performed' over Skype (He's techno-Grandad!). They both play instruments, so it was pieces of music they'd played, some poems from school and a few silly jokes and songs. DS1 even made a programme of events on Word which we he e-mailed through!

I should add- it sounds as if we're always doing this stuff - we're not! I'm just trying to think of the things where we've made a bit of effort and had more fun...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now