Talk

Advanced search

Christmas presents for preschool staff...

(8 Posts)
smugsy Thu 05-Nov-09 20:48:45

I was just wondering what the norm is regarding getting presents for preschool staff?
My DD has been there since September and there seems to be atleast half a dozen staff. I was thinking of getting a box of chocolates or biscuits?
But was thinking of also filling a box with arty supplies and maybe some of DD's old clothes? Sometimes she is sent home in spare clothes when hers have got wet or dirty so would it be useful to give them clothes such as socks and trousers she has outgrown?
Feel free to tell me if the box sounds like a bad idea and to just stick with the chocs/biscuits

cakesaregood Thu 05-Nov-09 22:38:20

I think most pre-school staff will appreciate the thought that goes into any gift.

We gave DS1's nursery packets of pants when he left in the summer. It definitely made them smile, they were always running out. I also made a cake for the staff to share.

To me, there's only so much chocolate anyone can cope with, and candles are definitely a no-no. But this is only my opinion, a candle loving chocoholic would obviously disagree!

For me, christmas presents are more as a token of appreciation for staff, and presents for the pre-school itself are thank-you/leaving presents, but you know your setting and the staff. Anything made by the child is always appreciated too.

At the moment I think our pre-school would appreciate boxes of tissues.

Bubbaloo2 Sat 07-Nov-09 16:52:16

Speaking from experience... no no chocs, candles or bubble bath stuff. You get so much in a short period you cant eat it and give it away.
Rather a small bunch of flowers from the supermarket or club together with 1/ 2 parents and get a gift voucher for Next/ M&S, etc, they would love that!

MrsJohnDeere Tue 10-Nov-09 13:39:15

Wine goes down well with the staff at our pre-school.
Or flowers, nice plants (more so than in summer when staff are off on holiday the day after term ends).

Biscuits, chocolate, candles not popular and tend to be given away.

smugsy Wed 11-Nov-09 19:14:44

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, so chocs or biscuits are a no-no then. If I went for the wine idea what kind of wine would I go for (can you tell I dont drink the stuff!) and would they mind getting just one bottle of wine between atleast 6 of them?

FritesMenthe Wed 11-Nov-09 19:21:25

I used to buy several individually wrapped bunches of flowers, such as carnations, then tie them into a large bouquet with ribbons. That way, it looked impressive, but the staff could then easily divide it between them, each taking 2 or 3 bunches of their favourite colours.

blametheparents Wed 11-Nov-09 19:42:39

Last year I bought some nice tea bags, some coffee, some hot chocoalate and camomile tea bags along with some biscuits. I wrapped a box and put the stuff inside so it looked a bit like a hamper.
Staff really like it and they were using them right into the New Year

lechatnoir Wed 11-Nov-09 22:32:24

I clubbed together with a couple of mums and we got each of them a mixed box of wine - they seem suitably appreciative grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now