Talk

Advanced search

Committee Members

(9 Posts)
Mimase Mon 19-Oct-09 20:55:06

I'm on the local preschool committee and although at the moment we have more than a full compliment members, most of them see it just as a social night out once a month. Even for those with a specific role it's really in name only and the Chair and I do most of the actual work. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common story

As such the committee roles have become blurred and in anticipation of most of the committee (including the Chair) standing down at the next AGM, I'm trying to get together definitive guides to the tasks of each of the officers.

Does anyone have any similar documentation/notes they'd be willing to share as a starting point?

Thanks in anticipation

norksonmywitchesbroomstick Mon 19-Oct-09 21:22:46

Have a look at the preschool commitee and constitution handbook - published in 1993 but give good role guidelines (ISBN1 873743 11 4 ref code A123)

If you want to CAT me feel free and I can post you something if you cannot get hold of it

Mayron Tue 20-Oct-09 18:53:17

I've just received a really good information sheet through our Children's Services Newsletter - about voluntary run Pre Schools and the role of the committee. It clearly identifies the roles of chair, secretary and treasurer. I copied it and sent it out with the last lot of committee minutes (which I typed - as Chair, not secretary!!!!). Had I read such a document before agreeing to be chair, there's no way I'd have agreed! I have the info sheet on e.mail, so CAT me if you want it sending.

cktwo Wed 21-Oct-09 20:57:04

Hi Mayron, could I get a copy of that document please? I've tried CAT-ing you but it won't allow it.
At the moment I'm running the whole thing, so I need something to give to the Chair to kick him up the backside smile

clop Thu 22-Oct-09 07:44:45

The preschool constitution wasn't explicit enough for me.
I don't know about current guidelines available from the PLA, but if I was OP's place, I would...

Draw up a list of regular frequent jobs (like claiming from the LEA, writing newsletters, chairing meetings). Then draw up a list of irregular types of jobs (like procuring supplies, monitoring CRBs, reviewing employee contracts, building maintenance). Then assign these jobs to the usual officers, perhaps creating extra committee posts if you need (like a building maintenance person).

Propose this lists of duties be adopted at a meeting and used it as a guideline for delegating jobs in future.

Mayron Sun 25-Oct-09 16:43:16

cktwo - I'll CAT you. Although won't be able to get the document to you till Wednesday. Left my memory stick at work!

Mimase Mon 26-Oct-09 13:00:43

Thank you all for your replies (I've been offline for a while due to illness).

Mayron - a copy of your documents would be really useful. I don't have CAT, could you email them to me mimasew@yahoo.co.uk?

clop - I agree in my experience people need the nitty gritty of the role spelled out to them and there's always those odd jobs that nobody seems responsible for.

I've made start now and not feeling so overwhelmed. Thanks

cktwo Mon 26-Oct-09 15:09:04

Thanks Mayron

Eliza70 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:32:05

Hi, it relates to Northern Ireland, but www.early-years.org has some good publications around this topic. Not available to buy online yet but you can order them over the phone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now