Talk

Advanced search

Applying for grants, anyone able to help a novice?

(12 Posts)
dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 17:20:44

DD goes to a fee paying preschool that DH and I can not afford, but were given a place for her on the condition that we contribute some work in exchange.

I offered to help with fundraising, but rather than the usual organising bake sales etc the manager suggested I spend my time applying for grants for a sensory room. Happy to give it a go, but no idea where to start. Anyone know of some good resources they could point me in the direction of? Or even have some good advice on where to start?

TheProvincialLady Thu 08-Oct-09 17:23:21

Speak to your local council about grants, they often give them and support them. Your local volnteer bureau may offer training and advice on grants applications.

dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 19:10:11

Thanks PL, I had a quick look at the local council website and their grant applications are totally incomprehensible! I will check at my volunteer bureau, but would they really help me?

Anyone else with any other pointer?

dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 19:10:36

pointers

morningpaper Thu 08-Oct-09 19:12:50

Is the sensory room for NT children or for SN children? How much do they need? What sort of project is it - transforming a room? How?

dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 20:34:22

The room will be used by both NT and SN children.

I think we're looking at about at least 6000, this stuff does not come cheap, but the manager of the nursery is a total flake and has been dragging her feet about getting quotes. She wants to transform a part of a large room for the purpose.

littlerach Thu 08-Oct-09 20:38:55

Awards for All.

B&Q

Tesco

All of these offer grants for specific projects.

If you cantact the CDO at your council they'll be able to tell you of more local companies that offer them.

I htink there is a newer lottery grant of about £10K avilable too, but you have to be very specific.

littlerach Thu 08-Oct-09 20:39:47

BTW, osme of the applications are rather detailed and take a while ot fill in, with exact quantities, prices etc needed.

morningpaper Thu 08-Oct-09 20:58:39

B&Q have stopped their grant programme AFAIK

You will need quotes first

dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 21:04:15

Would the lottery and Tescos etc give out grants to a private nursery though? I'm not even sure that if nursery is technically a charity, would they give grants even if it's not?

I know applications will be in depth and require detail + pricing, and have been asking the manager to clarify her 'concept' a bit more and get some quotes, I shall have to spell it out for her- "You want money, yes? Get quotes then money comes!" grin

morningpaper Thu 08-Oct-09 21:07:49

If it's primarily a profit-making business then no, you won't get many (if any) funders willing to back you

dizietsma Thu 08-Oct-09 22:11:59

See, that's what I thought. I really don't think she's thought this through, will have to talk further with her I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now