Talk

Advanced search

writing name backwards

(13 Posts)
stellata Mon 05-Oct-09 19:13:08

my 4 year old son has just started reception and comes back every day with a lovely picture with his name written backwards. He has been able to write his name for a while and at nursery tho he got some of the letters the wrong way round. my father is very dyslexic and so i feel sensitive about it my inclination is to say nothing any opinions gratefully received

OmicronPersei8yourbrain Mon 05-Oct-09 19:17:12

IME this is quite normal for his age, and will probably improve over the year. If you are concerned, have a word with his teacher. It is possible that at nursery he may have had a name card and that he is just doing it from memory in reception. Or is he left-handed? If you are it can be natural to write right-to-left.

singalongamumum Mon 05-Oct-09 19:21:51

I agree with Omicron- perfectly normal, nothing to worry about; will probably naturally correct itself over time. Quite a talent, actually!

littlerach Mon 05-Oct-09 19:25:07

dd2 did this in Receptin.

I was rather impressed!

She id left handed and i presume this is why she did it.

piscesmoon Mon 05-Oct-09 19:32:29

Is he left handed? I am, and when I was that age I started on the right and wrote to the left with every word and letter back to front. I think we should all write like that!! Unfortunately I was the one who had to change. Don't worry, even if right handed-he is very young.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 05-Oct-09 19:35:42

I kept a sample of DD1s 4year old writing. It was so perfectly backwards you could read it in the mirror!

She isn't left handed either. Very common at this age.

rachyh85 Mon 05-Oct-09 19:38:18

it is perfectly normal for left handed children to do this. it can also happen with right handers if they start on the left side of the page. even children who are quite confident at writing do funny things - ive seen a child (example- Chloe) write their name starting at the very left hand side. C then found they had no space so put the next letter next to the first but on the other side hC and continue until you have eolhC (correctly formed, just backwards)hmm

Mirror writing is also something that left handers do. (and is perfectly nrmal)

basically, dont worry. so long as you encourage writing practice, and always write his name properly when you do write it, he will sort it out at some point.

as far as im aware, this has no link with dyslexia whatsoever so dont stress over it smile

leolantern Mon 05-Oct-09 19:46:54

my ds is 5.5 and often gets his Z, R and B backwards but hopefully it clicks soon as he occasionally gets them right.

Clayhead Mon 05-Oct-09 19:59:50

My brother did this for AGES.

(He's 34 now and it seems to have sorted itself out grin)

maverick Tue 06-Oct-09 09:48:33

Writing from left to right is a learnt skill -in some written languages right to left is the correct direction of text. Chinese is written vertically on the page.

I suggest that you help him get the correct direction for our particular written language by putting a dot on the paper followed by a line for him to place the first letter until the correct habit is set in place.

cory Thu 08-Oct-09 08:03:50

My brother did this- he is now a professor and can write at least 15 different languages (and in different scripts too!). So it was clearly not a major cause for concern in his case grin

MmeGoblindt Thu 08-Oct-09 08:08:31

My DC both did/do that and I have known many other DC who did this too. Seems to be very common.

Does anyone know why they do this?

bringontherose Tue 13-Oct-09 09:22:41

My Ds does this too. I thought it was because he was bored of writing it correctly - after all it is all he has been writing for a few months. He did the same with some of his games - you had to match an animals head with it's body and once he was good at it he would do funny pairings on purpose, and put them upside down. It is also probably to get a reaction from you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now