Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

would children normally be unsupervised when using scissors?

(10 Posts)
booyhoosboydoesntwearpants Thu 01-Oct-09 10:59:16

an incident happened at ds' preschool. no-one was hurt but i'm just wondering if it could have been prevented.

booyhoosboydoesntwearpants Thu 01-Oct-09 12:54:33

anyone?

PinkTulips Thu 01-Oct-09 12:56:46

at that age they should be supervised even if they're not playing with something potentially dangerous tbh, i don't think the scissors make any differance to that

seeker Thu 01-Oct-09 13:01:56

The sort of scissors they have in pre school will barely cut paper, never mind anything else!

PinkTulips Thu 01-Oct-09 13:07:44

Not true, pre school using high scope or montessori methods use real scissors. Ours does smile

EldonAve Thu 01-Oct-09 13:13:49

ours use proper child scissors - they certainly cut paper and more - my child cut a hole in his smock

choppychopster Thu 01-Oct-09 13:14:05

DD came home from nursery the other day having cut her top with scissors. When I mentioned it to one of the staff she said she hadn't noticed her doing it, but she must have taken the scissors off the free play craft table. Have to say that I was quite surprised that scissors sharp enough to cut through cloth were just left lying around.

booyhoosboydoesntwearpants Thu 01-Oct-09 14:03:10

another child has said that ds cut him with scissors. the boy hasnt got any marks but i do believe it happened. ds says he was pretending to be an alligator. i just cant help thinking they should have been supervised when using scissors and ds' 'game' could have ben nipped in the bud (no pun intended) before anyone got hurt.

purepurple Sat 03-Oct-09 08:34:42

scissors are normally available throughut the session for children to choose to use.
I work in a nursery with 2 year olds and we have scissors in the mrk making trolley and the work shop area all of the time. Childeen are free to use them whenever they want. We don't give them any more supervision than any of the other equipment or toys. We have a ratio of 1 adult for every 4 children, and with between 12 and 16 children, it is impossible to watch every child all the time.
That said, we have had no incidents involving scissors, except for children putting them in their own mouths.
Children can be taught how to use scissors safely, in fact, they are more safe the more exposure they have to them.

mrz Sun 11-Oct-09 17:32:52

Scissors should be freely available for children to use, but children should be taught how to use them safely and with respect. I agree with purepurple children who have not used scissors and other tools regularly at home or in nursery are more likely to misuse them. I know two nurseries that have been criticised by OFSTED for having them out of the children's reach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now