Talk

Advanced search

Should I lie or should I move?

(4 Posts)
W8 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:33:47

We have been out of the UK for a long time and
would appreciate your advice.
I have a flat in Kensington, very close to a
Church school that has a good reputation.
However we let the property out for a very
long term contract. We won't be able to stay
back at the flat but to either rent or buy
some where.
In my heart I am a bit wary of moving outside
London. Please don"t get me wrong,it is pirelu
because London is all I know.
Questions:
1 Whoch area would you recommend us to buy a
Property based upon a good nursery/preschool
that linked to a good primary school. We are
Thinking of Surrey but both are clueless about
Where in particular.
2 How much does it cost roughly for a good
Private school?
3.Can I still enroll my son in the church
Achool in kensington eventhough we won't be
Living there. We still own the flat afterall.
That's all for now. Many thanks in advance.

LIZS Tue 29-Sep-09 18:59:51

Attending a "good" nursery/preschool won't necessary get your dc entry to the associated school unless you fulfil the entry criteria ahead of others who apply. Within any given area, Lodnon , surrey ro elsewhere, the reputation will vary form one school to another and there are no guarantees. it is very hard to pick a school and area unless you know it personally, reputation , ofsted etc is not everything. one person's idea of "good" is nto another's.

Private schools start from less than 6k pa for preprep upwards ...., the sky's the limit ! Again they vary widely.

You'd have to check with the borough what the criteria are for non-resident applications but unless you could live at the address and/or can actively use it (ie to register with a gp, be on utility accounts or have bank statements sent there ) it is unlikely you can apply from it. If places are oversubscribed then it could subsequently be withdrawn if you lied about living there and another child was unjustly not given the place instead. Increasingly spot checks are made once places are allocated.

Rebeccaj Thu 01-Oct-09 15:01:16

The application address has to be the address where the child normally resides, so no, you can't use it if you don't live there.
If it's a church school, then it probably has requirements for you to attend the church regularly, which you clearly won't have been doing. If so, then you are unlikely to get in anyway.

We used www.upmystreet.com to decide where to move to out of London. Walton on Thames, Weybridge, Claygate, Esher, Epsom in surrey all have good local state schools for example. Attendance at the nursery/preschool rarely gets you an advantage in admittance to the school though these days. Admissions criteria are normally on the school website or the county one - surrey's all are.

For private, £6-£10k a year is about par.

Rebeccaj Thu 01-Oct-09 15:02:20

Correction - the website we used most was www.aboutmyplace.com, sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now