Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a parent governor?

(6 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 19-Sep-09 15:28:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProfYaffle Sat 19-Sep-09 15:38:23

I'm a Governor, started in January but I still feel like a newbie. I enjoy seeing another side to school, how things are run etc It's also nice to build a relationship with the head and teachers.

I feel like I'm only just beginning to grasp what a large role it is though. It's worth finding out how many meetings you would be expected to attend. I have 2 each half term plus extra training courses, we're also expected to carry out classroom visits on a regular basis. tbh it's more of a time commitment than I initially anticipated and it's tricky sometimes with childcare (I don't have family nearby)

Overall I'm enjoying it and finding it a worthwhile experience.

LeninGrad Sat 19-Sep-09 17:03:45

LeninGrad Sat 19-Sep-09 17:05:28

bubblecloud Sun 27-Sep-09 13:16:59

Im applying at the moment and I told them I work full time but they didn't mention anything about classroom visits. It may very from school to school. Speak to the chair of governors at your school to find out what the school expects from its govenors.

ChookKeeper Sun 27-Sep-09 13:47:03

The amount of time commitment does vary from school to school. Some encourage you to be on every committee going (especially if they are short of governors) whilst others are happy for you to ease in gently in the first year and sit on perhaps one committee and attend the termly full governors meetings.

Do be aware though that some governing bodies are just rubber stampers for the decisions that the HT and COG have made in advance or only find out stuff that the HT actually wants them to know sad. I'm not saying that this happens in all schools but IME and a quick look at the Governors forum on the TES website shows that it's not altogether uncommon.

Having said that it can be really rewarding in the right school so why not have a word with the COG and find out exactly what's going to be required of you in terms of time and construcitve input.

It's also worth remembering that you are not there 'on behalf' of other parents so don't let them railroad you into personal battles.

Hope you enjoy it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now