Talk

Advanced search

So, when is dd meant to start Nursery/preschool?

(12 Posts)
Knickers0nmahead Thu 17-Sep-09 08:26:11

I have no idea what age she should be and how I go about it blush

She is 2.1

frasersmummy Thu 17-Sep-09 08:28:30

where are you knickers?? I am in Scotland and we have completly different system to England

Knickers0nmahead Thu 17-Sep-09 08:31:37

Oh sorry, I am in Yorkshire.

ChilloHippi Thu 17-Sep-09 08:45:25

It's the term after she is three that she will get 5 free sessions a week. Some preschools will let you pay for sessions at 2 and a half though.
You need to find your nearest preschool as not all schools have them, go and have a look around or find out when their open evenings are so you can meet the teachers and see what goes on, and put her name down for the one that you are happy with asap.

FlamingoBingo Thu 17-Sep-09 08:46:53

She doesn't have to go, you know? Just thought I'd point that out. If you want or need her to, fair enough, but I do speak to parents who don't realise they have a choice!

ruddynorah Thu 17-Sep-09 08:49:09

there are also preschools in day nurseries and in places such as church or village halls.

Knickers0nmahead Thu 17-Sep-09 08:53:45

Thank you everyone. Will go do some reasearch then.

Flamingo, I want her to go grin It will hep her with her ''people skills''

FrogmellaMoonbeam Thu 17-Sep-09 09:00:47

Im glad its not just me taht doesnt have a clue! I have recently had all my family nagging me to get DS's name down for nursery as he is 2 next month but I have had a brief look at the nursery schools I would be interested in and they dont take them until the term after they are 3. (I believe we are near you as well Knickers)

ChilloHippi Thu 17-Sep-09 11:00:18

I was really confused about it all until a lady from the LEA came to our playgroup to give a little talk about it and ensure that the children were getting what they were entitled to.

ChilloHippi Thu 17-Sep-09 11:00:47

Or maybe not the LEA, but the Children's Services or something.

littleducks Thu 17-Sep-09 11:07:11

Ask around

DD goes to preschool, she is 3 and has 3 funded sessions a week (she is entitled to 5 but we only take 3) she started at 2.11 but we had to pay as her birthday was just after start of term

But i had to put her on the waiting list at 18 months as its very popular

Seona1973 Thu 17-Sep-09 13:08:16

I had to apply for ds's place not long after he turned 2 - he turned 2 in October 2008 and I applied for his place in the January after (2009) - this was for a place that starts January 2010. (I am in Scotland though so the process/timings may differ)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now