Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's LO just started preschool and screams the place down?

(8 Posts)
holdingittogether Mon 14-Sep-09 09:27:57

Just left ds who is almost 3 at preschool for his second session. He screamed worse than he did last week. Feeling really sad about it. I have made the decision that I won't hang around, I just hand him over with a happy positive goodbye and leave. Do you think this is the right approach? I worry that if i stay and play he will expect me to always stay and is just delaying the screaming. Have been through this before with my older 2 but that feels such a long time ago.

Runoutofideas Mon 14-Sep-09 12:22:54

My eldest was like this and settled happily after about 3 weeks. She starts school this afternoon so fingers crossed.....
My youngest starts pre-school tomorrow. She hates being left anywhere and I am prepared for complete meltdown. The preschool prefer a more gentle approach of hanging around until they are comfortable in their surroundings, which I am not 100% convinced about, but will give it a go. Will let you know how it goes. Hope your ds comes home happy today!

norksinmywaistband Mon 14-Sep-09 12:28:50

Hi, my DS has ben at preschool for a year now and still clings screams and cries - He absolutely loves it there and only screams for a minute or so then happily joins in.
He has always been a bit of a mummy's boy and just lets to know he loves me iyswim.
It is heartrending to leave a screaming child but I think handover kiss and leave is the best response as they learn that they cannot manipulate them into staying or taking them home( which I am sure was DS' initial tactic.

I just wanted to let you know that the crying is not an indication that they do not have fun and like the setting - hope it gets easier for you soon

holdingittogether Mon 14-Sep-09 12:29:03

Well they said he was much better today and stopped crying after only a few mins. I feel better now. He cried when he saw me at home time but was engrossed in story time and took a while to notice me. Goes again weds so we shall see how he gets on then. Good luck for when your LO starts tomorrow!

gorionine Mon 14-Sep-09 12:34:00

DD1 was like that for the very few sessions she went. I was in the same building for something else with DS2 and could hear her scream the place down for the entire session "I want my home, I want my home". After the third time I did not bring her anymore and to this day I regret to have waited more than one session to get her out of there.

Runoutofideas Mon 14-Sep-09 14:08:50

For any one worried about a clingy pre school child, my eldest dd has just waved me off happily on her first day at big school with not a backward glance. If someone had told me that 18 months ago, when she was bawling and clinging to my leg for dear life, I really wouldn't have believed them!

gorionine Mon 14-Sep-09 14:13:58

runoutof ideas, same here, DD1 started the nursery attached to the school she would attend 8 month after the playgroup attempt. SHe did not even want me to stay a little bit with her, she was ready. My guess is that just a few months make a very big difference when children are concerned.

Runoutofideas Tue 15-Sep-09 12:39:57

DD2 started preschool this morning and I didn't manage to leave for the entire session. She clung to me the whole time, except when playing outside. I think it's going to be a long process settling her in. She is only 2.1 though so I'm very happy to take it slowly and the preschool prefer that things are done gradually. In a few weeks I'm sure she'll be trotting in happily.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now