Talk

Advanced search

is this too much time at preschool for a 3.5 year old?

(15 Posts)
strongblackcoffee Wed 09-Sep-09 20:19:50

Help me, I can't decide what to do, need to make a decision by tomorrow. DS1 has just started the following weekly routine:

Monday 8.45 to 11.45 at preschool
Tuesday 8.45 to 2.45 at preschool (while I work)
Wednesday 8.30 to 5ish at different nursery (need a full day while I work)
Thursday 8.45 to ??? at preschool
Friday at home with me all day

He is currently booked in to stay at preschool until 2.45 on Thursdays, but it now seems like too much time, and I'm wondering whether to collect at 11.45 instead. He says he wants to do another day staying for lunch, and he obviously really enjoys it there, but it feels like too many long days to me.

Sorry, this is such a ridiculous question blush, it's only a matter of a couple of hours, but it's driving me insane trying to decide what to do...

Help??!!

strongblackcoffee Wed 09-Sep-09 20:20:56

Sorry, I should also add, he's always done two full days at nursery in the past while I've been at work, so this is not a huge step up from that...

mazzystartled Wed 09-Sep-09 20:22:08

I'd let him go, if you can afford it

(take yourself off for a swim and a coffee)

with the proviso that is if he's tired, he has a day off, or you get a better offer, you do that instead

jaquelinehyde Wed 09-Sep-09 20:22:58

I think it's fine. He obviously enjoys it very much, leave him to it and grab a few hours for yourself. It will make the time you spend together even better.

Stop worrying yourself, there is no need.

bigchris Wed 09-Sep-09 20:23:36

my 3 year old does:

Monday and Tuesday 8am - 6pm nursery while I work

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - 2 and a half hours, 9.30am - 12pm at local preschool

if you arent working on thursday I would do 8.45 - 11.45

strongblackcoffee Wed 09-Sep-09 20:23:50

Hmmmm... swim and coffee would be wonderful, but have DS2 to look after! Although there would be a lunchtime nap to look forward to there...

strongblackcoffee Wed 09-Sep-09 20:25:38

Yes, this is my dilemna I think really. I know that I could have a lovely relax over lunchtime. But at the same time I'm thinking that these little years disappear so fast, and worrying that I'm going to regret it. I'm not normally like this either, I don't normally worry about anything like this, I just get on with it. I don't know what's the matter with me..!!

BonsoirAnna Wed 09-Sep-09 20:25:38

Sounds fine but of course you will have to judge yourself on the basis of how he seems.

Runoutofideas Thu 17-Sep-09 16:44:39

I would pick him up at 11.45 - especially as the Thursday follows two long days in a row. He'll be in school before you know it - (speaking as someone whose dd1 has just started reception). I'd enjoy his time at home while you can....

alarkaspree Thu 17-Sep-09 16:54:03

It's not too much time at preschool if he's enjoying it. Your ds is going to be fine either way, so you should make the decision based on what you'd prefer. I think mazzystar's suggestion is good personally, if the difference in cost isn't too much I would book him in for the afternoon but pick him up earlier some days to do something nice with you.

purepurple Thu 17-Sep-09 17:46:36

Sounds fine to me, as long as he is enjoying it.
My DS was only just 4 when he started full time school, that's not that much older than your DS now.

coolma Sat 26-Sep-09 19:28:59

I feel awful now cos my dd3 who is not 4 until december does 8am till 4.30 everyday. That suddenly feels like far too much..

MrsJohnDeere Sat 26-Sep-09 19:40:09

Mine (also 3.5) does

Mon 9-1
Weds 9-3
Thurs 9-1
Fri 9-12

so 17 hours total.

He absolutely loves it but it does tire him out and make him a bit grumpy.

In your shoes I'd probably be inclined to collect him at 11.45 as he already does 2 longish days.

FimbleHobbs Thu 08-Oct-09 10:27:26

My 3yo does 8-4, four days a week. Until recently she did 8-6, two days a week.

The new routine is loads better - there is time to do stuff in the afternoon/early evening, and she doesn't miss out on so much at preschool, ie the weekly sessions from visitor like spanish teacher/dancing teacher etc.

I would have him there until 2.45 as that is what he has asked to do.

pranma Tue 27-Oct-09 20:52:23

dgs does
Monday 9-1 at preschool
Tues home with mum
Wed 9-1 at preschool
Thurs and Fri 8-4 at childminder
On Mon and Wed afternoons he is at hoe either with mum or me depending on her work.
He is 3.1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now