Talk

Advanced search

Feel really bad - don't think we prepared DS enough for pre-school

(2 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 07-Sep-09 16:07:03

He's just turned three and had his first morning at pre-school today. He's been going to a private nursery two days a week since he was seven months and is fine there so I think we'd just kind of assumed he would be fine at pre-school, but not really thinking about the fact that when he started nursery he was really young and didn't really get upset by being left, and then he has grown up with it so never really had to get used to it.

He's quite shy in new situations, so I have talked to him about pre-school and explaining its where he can go and play now he's a big boy. But I don't think I've talked about it enough, probably only two or three times in the past couple of weeks. So last night I made a big fuss of him saying he's going to pre-school in the morning, isn't he lucky, now he's a big boy, and he was getting excited and seemed happy about it. It was only this morning when he asked if we were all staying and I said no we'll drop you off and come and fetch you in a couple of hours that he got really upset saying he didn't want to go on his own and he'd cry if he was there on his own.

Tried to explain about making friends with other children and how its a bit like nursery and he was ok, but cried a lot when we dropped him off. I wasn't too worried as he sometimes cries when we drop him at nursery and is always fine within a couple of minutes. But when I went to collect him he was sobbing and shaking and then wet himself when I hugged him. Much more upset than when we'd left him.

They assured me that as soon as we'd left him it took about five minutes to calm him down and then he was completely fine all morning until just before I picked him up.

Just worried that we've confused him and he'll now think we're just going to leave him in random places, as we'd not explained clearly enough that he'd be going on his own and we wouldn't stay with him.

JustAsWelliLikeLego Mon 07-Sep-09 19:54:08

I got this book

Might not use it much but it is quite nice and gentle

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now