Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with Jollyphonics and pronunciation

(7 Posts)
shinyshilling Wed 02-Sep-09 16:14:09

Hi,

Can anyone help me? My DD is 3 and is showing an interest in words and language. We've bought the Jollyphonics stuff which she is really enjoying but I'm in a bit of a quandry.I think we're doing the right thing in teaching her 'f' not 'fuh', 'l' not 'Luh','m' not 'muh' etc. She has a Vtech computer which does all the 'fuh' sounds etc. It's made me question our method! What's the least confusing way to teach her in relation to what she'll learn at school? Also, how do you make the distinction between a and A? She seems to say "A is what adults say" I don't necessarily agree with this and I'm not sure where she's got it from. I know that there's questions over what's right, wrong and just different or an alternative, but I'd appreciate a bit of help just to create a sense of continuity and to make it all less confusing for when she starts school. Any ideas anyone?

ShrinkingViolet Wed 02-Sep-09 16:24:17

we did "A is it's name, a is it's sound" which seemed to work. No idea how that ties in with school though.

Hassled Wed 02-Sep-09 16:28:27

She will quite easily absorb both. Learning that T makes a Tuh sound is important later when she writes things, as well as with reading unfamiliar words, but she will also need to know that letter is called Tee, IYSWIM. When my DCs were taught Jolly Phonics in Reception it was the T makes a Tuh sound, etc, and along the way they learnt the "adult" names.

cat64 Wed 02-Sep-09 16:29:13

Message withdrawn

mrz Wed 02-Sep-09 17:23:18

www.jollylearning.co.uk/
select audio and then the letter you want to hear

shinyshilling Thu 03-Sep-09 11:10:20

Thanks you, that's all very helpful.

shinyshilling Thu 03-Sep-09 11:12:14

Mmmm...meant to read 'Thank you'. You'll all wonder what on earth I'm doing teaching my daughter to read, when I can't even write properly!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now