Talk

Advanced search

Can't get ds into a pre-school - all full!!!

(11 Posts)
kiera Sat 29-Aug-09 23:36:43

I feel so upset - ds2 who is almost 3 has had his name down for the pre-school ds1 went to since the age of 1 and was due to start earlier this summer. HOWEVER we were going to be going to the States for a year (dh's job) going in August so I gave up his place. Anyway, a few weeks before we were due to fly (mid-July) it all fell through. So I got straight on the phone to get ds2 back into pre-school only to find him now at the bottom of a waiting list, tried all other pre-schools in town but they are all full too (ds2 has had his name down on one waiting list since Easter!).

I tried the local nurseries but they only offer 7.30am-1 or 1-6pm, no good to me. I found a nursery that did offer 9-1 but was going to cost me £22 a session and I'd have to pay all year round ie half-terms and holidays also even though he would not be going then as ds1 at home. Also they said that although he would be eligible for his 15 hours funding in January this would not cover their costs so I would have to pay an additional £158 per month on top!!!

I'm really at my wits end here and am going to try calling surrounding villages' pre-schools next but suspect they are all on holiday now till Sept and may be full anyway. Does anyone have any advice re what I can do?? Does not seem fair that ds2 is entitled to his 15 hours come January but won't be able to get it

purepurple Sun 30-Aug-09 09:31:11

That seems unfair that the nurseries won't take him.
I work in a private day nursery and we have children that just do the funded sessions.
We offer 9-11.30, term time only.
Or 9-1.00 to include dinner at an extra couple of pounds, term time only
Or 1-3.30, term time only
Or 9-3.30, just paying extra for lunch, which uses 2 sessions, term time only
It does mean we have to keep the places open in the holidays but we take in school children for a holiday club, so we cover the costs that way.
I hope you find somewhere soon

MissisBoot Sun 30-Aug-09 09:33:50

Do you have any schools with preschools attached? They normally offer places according to DOB rather than when you put them down on the list - other children may well move before january so try not to worry too much.

kiera Sun 30-Aug-09 10:33:29

I might try calling the council on Tuesday and see what they say...

No schools with pre-schools attached in my home town although there are a few in surrounding villages which I am going to try on Tuesday.

We must be in the midst of a bay boom round here!

kiera Sun 30-Aug-09 10:34:06

baby boom!

FlamingoBingo Sun 30-Aug-09 10:35:56

Don't send him? Do you need to send him?

kiera Sun 30-Aug-09 12:11:21

I thought he may be missing out if I don't. He's loved having ds1 at home during the holidays and is going to really miss him when he goes back to school next week

MrsMattie Sun 30-Aug-09 12:13:45

Get on waiting lists, keep ringing around and maybe worth contacting the council and asking for suggestions. Something will come up.

nancy75 Sun 30-Aug-09 12:17:03

waiting lists for pre schools move pretty quickly, as most children are on at least 4 lists (i put dds name down for 7!) wait until they have all started back after the holidays and ring round again, you may find he has moved up the list quickly as parents have accepted/turned down places

kiera Sun 30-Aug-09 16:16:18

Yeah I am on all the waiting lists as of July when I found out, one ds2 has been on since Easter! Didn't know people put their kids on so many lists - that's encouraging, thank you

hocuspontas Sun 30-Aug-09 16:57:48

I wouldn't panic - it's only pre-school. He's not missing out on anything. Since the 15 hour free business everyone seems to think it's something they've got to do.

And, agree, places are fairly fluid so it's not all doom and gloom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now