Talk

Advanced search

would you be happy for your 9mth to eat this in nursery.....

(14 Posts)
billyog Thu 20-Aug-09 12:03:43

Fish fingers? DD has just started nursey and I was providing her meals for the first few weeks but nursery said she can have their food now. When i asked this morning what was on the menu they said fish fingers. Seeing my look of concern she reassured me that she'd whiz it up for dd assuming it was the her ability to eat them that worried me. I wouldn't give her fish fingers at this young age. I generally give her home cooked stuff, home made stock etc to keep low salt intake. Am I right to be concerned or am I over reacting?

ButtercupWafflehead Thu 20-Aug-09 12:08:19

I wouldn't be happy at all.

Unless they were home-cooked, salt/additive-free, pure fish on the inside, pure bread on the outside etc.

Fish fingers are junk food, imo.

ruddynorah Thu 20-Aug-09 12:10:52

bleurgh at whizzing it up. if they're a decent brand then i'd be fine with fish fingers, but served as a fish finger not whizzed up. what do they serve them up with? what's the menu like for the rest of the week?

billyog Thu 20-Aug-09 12:27:37

The menu for the rest of the week seems ok, lots of veg with every meal etc. I'm not sure how things like 'chicken casserole' are actually prepared though. The manager cooks everything on site, umilke other nurseries that have a proper chef. i'ii have to quiz her a little bit about the menu, altough i don't want to label myself as a pain in the asre.

billyog Thu 20-Aug-09 12:37:22

The menu for the rest of the week seems ok, lots of veg with every meal etc. I'm not sure how things like 'chicken casserole' are actually prepared though. The manager cooks everything on site, umilke other nurseries that have a proper chef. i'ii have to quiz her a little bit about the menu, altough i don't want to label myself as a pain in the asre.

billyog Thu 20-Aug-09 12:37:56

oops.

LionstarBigPants Thu 20-Aug-09 12:44:28

Decent fish-fingers are not junk food. No artificial ingredients (orange colour of breadcrumbs is usually paprika). My DD loves them - she doesn't get them at nursery though

NobodyIKnowReadsTheFarkingDM Thu 20-Aug-09 12:48:42

For an over one I'd have no problem with decent fish fingers on the menu.

I might have doubts for an under one due to salt but haven't had a fish finger or an under one for a while now so can't recall the exact quantities involved.

ButtercupWafflehead Thu 20-Aug-09 12:51:20

9 months though? If you start at 6 months then that's quite a big leap, no?

LionstarBigPants Thu 20-Aug-09 12:53:27

Actually that's true, didn't really pick up on the age, not sure I would give them to an under one year old.

belgo Thu 20-Aug-09 12:57:38

Nothing wrong with fish fingers. My mum gave them to ds a couple of weeks ago - he's just turned 10 months- and he loved them.

purepurple Thu 20-Aug-09 18:53:56

billyog
read this thread about the nursery where I work.
Please question the manager about the ingrediants.
I think parents have a right to know what their children are eating.
We had fishfingers today, including the babies. With mash potatoes and spaghetti hoops.The fish was grey.
Our menuu sounds healthy but isn't.

KembleTwins Thu 20-Aug-09 22:56:27

Big Cook Little Cook did a thing about how fish fingers are made. I was pleasantly surprised. Up until that point, I'd made my own - cod/haddock loin in breadcrumbs made by whizzing up bread at home. Very expensive, but felt it was the right thing to do. However, I now buy them - nothing in them but fish and coating (and unless you bake your own bread, whizzing up breadcrumbs doesn't necessarily mean having exact control over what they contain) DTs have been at nursery for 3 months now and have had fish fingers there once - it's very varied.
I really wouldn't worry.
Yuk to them pureed though!

MamaG Thu 20-Aug-09 23:48:17

AGree there's nowt wrong with a fish finger

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now