Talk

Advanced search

reading

(7 Posts)
kalebsmummy Sun 16-Aug-09 21:34:34

How can i get my just turned 3yr old to enjoy me reading to him for more than 2seconds has lost total interest last few months?

KembleTwins Sun 16-Aug-09 23:54:15

What about trying to get hold of books with just pictures, and ask him to tell YOU the story. My friend has a 3 yr old DD who loves doing that.
Or take him to the library/bookshop and ask him to choose?
Don't worry - he may well rekindle an interest in the near future - would be dreadful to "force" him into storytime at this age and inadvertently foster a hatred of books!

pranma Mon 17-Aug-09 20:21:12

Does he have a favourite TV character?Bob the Builder,Fireman Sam and of course Thomas all have some pleasant books many involving buttons to push or moving parts.The library is an excellent idea.Do you read for pleasure yourself?Just seein an open book by your bed and being told,'Mummy loves stories' could spark interest.Dont worry,it will come soon enough.

bruffin Mon 17-Aug-09 20:35:56

I wouldn't worry about it, and don't force him or you will put him off.

DD would never sit still to be read to, more interested in everything else going on.

She taught herself to read and was reading fluently in reception . NOw at 11 is a complete bookworm.

You are better off setting an example of him seeing you read rather than forcing him to sit with you reading a book.

hocuspontas Mon 17-Aug-09 20:38:33

Agree about setting an example is important. Some 3 year olds just can't sit still - it's more fun to be on the go!

!

hocuspontas Mon 17-Aug-09 20:39:34

ah - I wondered where that exclamation mark had escaped to grin

allthatglisters Thu 27-Aug-09 08:35:19

Have a similar situation with 3 year old. Have tried other ways of getting him interested in books:

Put books out with matching toys or DVDs e.g. Thomas the tank engine trains and books
or Cat in the Hat DVD and books.

Look for books with exras such us lift the flap, touch and feel, wipe-clean books with pens.

Use books in other ways like making tunnels for cars.

Try getting hold of traditional tales in the ladybird series - especially Goldilocks and the 3 bears, and the Gingerbread Man, which have a bit of excitement in them.

Get fact books about snakes etc from the library with good, close up photos in them and leave them about, open at eye-catching pages.

I think that it is important to pick up on these things early - children like this could fall behind without extra help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now