Talk

Advanced search

dressing up - what do your children like?

(11 Posts)
misshardbroom Sat 18-Jul-09 19:19:56

In your child's preschool, what dressing up stuff do they have?

What's the most / least used? What don't you have but wish you did?

Any strong feelings about what should / shouldn't be available for dressing up, or about the gender coding of dressing up clothes?

I need to buy some new stuff and would welcome some outside opinions.

Bean74 Sat 18-Jul-09 22:01:41

My DD would (& frequently does) dress up as a fairy / princess all day. I'm not a girly girl by any stretch of the imagination but this is what she likes (she is 3.7 btw).

blametheparents Sat 18-Jul-09 22:03:32

Wouldn't worry about the gender coding of dressing up clothes, there are 2 boys at DD's pre-school who are frequently dressed as princesses, and nobody bats en eyelid.

hocuspontas Sat 18-Jul-09 22:09:27

Most popular are donated bridesmaid dresses (or from charity shop) and fairy wings and tiaras for girls. Also cat ears and tails. For boys, sparkly waistcoats and fireman/policeman tabards with matching helmets. Adult hats are popular as well like flat caps, top hats and wide-brimmed ribboned hats.

FairLadyRantALot Sat 18-Jul-09 22:11:46

well...years ago we bought a cape in a charity shop, sort of zorro....and all we needed was eyepatch ,gun, black clothing, black material for bandanna...kids love it....
ys loves sportacus, so, got him the costume....ill fitting and on the small side, he still loves it though...

king costume possibly the least liked one in my house....

I used to dress up in a fancy pettycoat/undergarment...not ure what it would be caled, and pretend I was a princess...a beautyfull one...lol

Frizbe Sat 18-Jul-09 22:13:35

Princess is favourite here from both girls, ss used to like knights, one of dd1's boy mates, likes knights too.

Shenaya23 Sat 18-Jul-09 22:18:24

My DD (at home though, not pre-school) loves a fluffy older girls' waistcoaty thing, and a pirate hat best grin

Also the most used dress-up item with all my DDs has been large headscarves (multi-purpose for blankets, cloaks, scarves, headgear, shawls, slings, etc).

Don't forget to look in the charity shops - and wash hats if nothing else.

scrappydappydoo Sat 18-Jul-09 22:22:14

DD (3) is completely princess/fairy and ballet - you will not get her to wear anything else. However she does combine it with a doctors kit and will happily diagnose any condition dressed as a princess hmm.
I did just buy my friend who's a childminder some fab tabards from tjhughes - they were a £1 each - there was a shopkeeper, a fireman, an astronaut and a nurse - they came with a storybook as well.

misshardbroom Sat 18-Jul-09 22:27:54

sadly, we don't have TJ Hughes envy

Hadn't thought about charity shops though, good plan!

cat64 Sat 18-Jul-09 22:37:41

Message withdrawn

purepurple Sun 19-Jul-09 09:44:23

the most popular in our pre-school is the cat costume and the fairy costume with both girls and boys
I find that the chidlren enjoy 'real' clothes too, instead of the actual dressing up costumes
they like bits of material which they use to make costumes to act out stories, e.g The Gruffalo, Red Riding Hood and Chicken Licken.
They also love adult shoes and bags of all description
I did have to remove the power ranger type costumes as I found that the play was very violent and all about 'getting' each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now