Talk

Advanced search

need help to get ready for kindergarten.....

(2 Posts)
BellaVictoria Sun 12-Jul-09 15:48:37

Our 5 y.o. girl will be going off to kindergarten next month.....she's gone to pre school before, half days. Now it's full days, Mon thru Fri.....she's pretty good about listening and is very smart. She's been off this summer & we're worried she's going to hate it, or refuse it...we're worried about the everyday, all day thing. We welcome ALL comments and tips, and thank you in advance.....truthfully, I (mom) could use some tips for my own sanity to get through this I'm having a little hard time myself ........

misshardbroom Sun 12-Jul-09 21:58:53

I'm assuming you're in the USA?

Based on my own experiences of sending my 4.11y.o DD into reception in the UK, my top tips are as follows:

1. Don't make too big a deal of it. If she sees you getting psyched out by it, she'll think it's something to worry about. If she sees you taking it in your stride, she will take confidence from that.

2. Don't underestimate how tired she'll be at the end of the day. She'll probably not want to talk about what she's been doing, and may be too tired for any after school activities she might otherwise do. I'd be prepared to scale all that stuff back, there's plenty of time to pick up swimming / dancing / gymnastics later.

3. I'd concentrate my efforts now on making sure she can do everything for herself that she needs to, even stuff like opening and closing her lunchbox or water bottle, fastening her shoes and coat etc.

4. Allow yourself way more time than you need to get her up, dressed, travel to school... if you're early it's not the end of the world, and it's better than rushing, being stressed and probably forgetting essential stuff.

Other than that, just take a deep breath and see it as a positive thing. You were happy the day she took her first steps, or cut her first tooth, or said her first word, right? This is just the next 'first', and she'll probably love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now