Talk

Advanced search

I'm leaving my secretary role after the AGM in September...how to get them to take it?

(8 Posts)
Ripeberry Tue 30-Jun-09 11:11:58

I've been on the pre-school committee for 4full years in September and my last DD is leaving next month.
I've had several roles and the latest as secretary has been the hardest so far ONLY because of big upheavals in our pre-school and also because the previous secretaries had not done half the things that we are required to do and they all left a very messy file behind.
I've spent most of this year, sorting out the file, printing up the minutes that had been kept on a disc (previous secretary did not want to print anything).
I've printed useful 'job' guides for each of the officers and even have a full handover list.
Lovely file for anyone who wants it.
Everyone knows i'm leaving in September and they can't stop me as its in the constitution that i can't stay.
What would you do? Hand a personal letter to the remaining 'general' committee members, giving them details of what's involved so they can have a think about it over the holidays OR just wait until the AGM and hope they actually turn up?
Just get fed up of some people's excuses about why they can't do it, but they turn up to the meetings at least.
Can you 'Jazz-up' the role of secretary?
Help!

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Tue 30-Jun-09 11:19:19

I think it sounds like you've done enough with the job guides and handover list.

If they all know informally that you are leaving anyway, all you need do is officially step down at the AGM.

If people are at least coming to meetings make it clear that the committee cannot function legally without a secretary - hopefully it will spur someone on to step up.

I'm a committee secretary myself, so it's hard to see how you can jazz up the role - it's just not glamourous grin.

Ripeberry Tue 30-Jun-09 11:26:22

Well i'll tie a lovely ribbon around the file! grin

misshardbroom Tue 30-Jun-09 18:36:41

Do you have another committee meeting before the end of this term?

If so, I'd put it on the agenda, e.g. 'Item 45645, Ripeberry has to step down'.

Failing that, I would send a group email to the whole committee, being very pleasant and jolly about it but saying 'just to remind you all, the constitution states that I have to step down at the AGM, so please everyone have a good think about whether you could take this on, or know anyone who could.'

Then step back. It's the Chair who should be worrying about this, not you.

Ripeberry Tue 30-Jun-09 20:26:31

Thanks misshardbroom, we do have a meeting in two weeks time. I just get so nervous at AGMs as at the last 3 i've taken on roles i've not really wanted to do, just because there was literally no-one to do them!
We have 8 of us on the committee and it would be great if we could get some new parents to join.
Our AGM will be held in the pub this year! grin

Candance Thu 16-Jul-09 07:43:03

Our chair recently stepped down, and even though we didn't have a new one, she just went...simple as that.

MaggieBeBold Thu 16-Jul-09 07:49:41

yeah after four years it'd be more controversial to stay.

Say that you prefer to be contstitutional and leave.

GL

I know it's awkward. I resigned from a minor role. My son had had a dx which came as a shock to me. I just said that my heart was no longer in the role, my head wasn't there! They all accepted it sympathetically.

Ripeberry Thu 16-Jul-09 10:24:05

Well, i had my 'leaving' meeting last night and handed the Chairman my resignation letter to start from when the AGM minutes are given out (i'll do them as not fair on new secretary).
Most of the original committee are staying but NONE of them want to be secretary, our Chairman just asked them to think about it over the summer holidays.
I think they are secretly hoping that a 'new mum' will take on the role.
Any of them could do it, but it's not MY problem......yippee! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now