Talk

Advanced search

Teaching a 2 year old Letters

(24 Posts)
hedwig06 Tue 30-Jun-09 09:35:13

I have a 2 yeard old DS, he is a big handful, for the past few months - well a year at least all I have concentrated on was his behaviour and trying to keep him under control, grin

I now feel in the right place to try to teach him the alphabet, has anyone got any ideas as to how to do this?

I am a mum of 4, DS being the youngest, and have never know a boy like him, he is constantly demanding, and never stops talking, we read endless books, over and over again. He knows his numbers upto about 15, and knows most of the shapes, but doesn't seem to be picking up the letters so easy.

Please anyone - ideas?

TheProvincialLady Tue 30-Jun-09 09:39:50

I don't think you should try and teach them unless he shows an interest TBH. But there is nothing wrong with pointing out letters whilst you are reading, and showing him the letters in his name.

helpmegetthisrightplease Tue 30-Jun-09 22:12:05

Don't rush him, he'll learn when he's ready.

That said DD loves this site.

Sounds as if you have a very bright DS

mrsmaidamess Tue 30-Jun-09 22:20:14

HE IS 2

piscesmoon Tue 30-Jun-09 22:22:13

I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy books together.

IpeeFreely Tue 30-Jun-09 22:23:16

concentrate on social skills and increasing his independence, letters are so not important at 2

hedwig06 Thu 02-Jul-09 08:30:50

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I think I'll wait awhile maybe after christmas when hes nearly 3 and see if he is showing an interest then.

smile

Portofino Thu 02-Jul-09 08:53:35

We had a magnetic thing that stuck to the fridge along with magnetic letters. When you put the letter in and pressed it, it sang a little song "A says Ay and A says Ahhhh, every letter makes a sound....". It was fecking annoying but it was very effective. It also sang the alphabet song, so dd learnt the correct order of the letters.

maverick Thu 02-Jul-09 09:59:39

I suggest you get the Jolly Phonics frieze (this is not an alphabet frieze but shows the English alphabet code's 40+ sound /letter correspondences) and put it up on his bedroom wall. Establish a routine of saying a sound and pointing to the letter/s every night at bedtime.

maverick Thu 02-Jul-09 11:41:14

...or print your own Jolly Phonics frieze:

www.communication4all.co.uk/Phonics/Jolly%20Phonics%20Wall%20Frieze.pdf

hedwig06 Thu 02-Jul-09 13:17:10

Thanks Maverick - I'll have a go at printing my own.

Portofino - I am bidding on one of these on ebay, so hopefully I will win, a few people have told this item is good.

Thanks.

riddley Thu 02-Jul-09 17:03:06

This is anecdotal but best I've got to offer!

My son went to a private nursery around 1999-2001. Although there was some play activity, pressure from parents to give their little ones a "head start" meant that they spent lots of time *tracing letters* at 3-4 years old!! Possibly as a result my son showed absolutely NO interest in reading/writing till he was about 7.

My younger daughters are in reception now- they had very little in the way of letter recognition at their (state) nursery- everything was play based. Now their whole Reception class are DESPERATE to do literacy and the standard and their enthusiasm is fantastic- it's interesting and accessible for them, and above all it's fun.

Presonally I'd avoid it and just carry on reading for fun- rather than risk putting him off.

Portofino Thu 02-Jul-09 23:13:24

hedwig, if you win on eBay, I would hide the thing if you ever go out on a Saturday night! I can honestly say that if you are feeling a bit hungover jaded on a Sunday am, you really can't cope with a dc enthusiatic about learning their letters!

WriggleJiggle Thu 02-Jul-09 23:58:22

hedwig, would you mind posting a link to the sort of thing you are looking at, as they sound good and I've not come across them yet.
(obviously after you have purchased yours - would hate to bid against you!)

MrsFogi Fri 03-Jul-09 00:04:16

Portofino or Hedwig - What are the magnetic letter "things" called please? Is ebay the only place to buy them?

mrgumpy Fri 03-Jul-09 00:30:59

It sounds like fridge phonics. Something like this?

www.leapfrog.com/en/fridge_phonics/fridgephonics.html

CyradisTheSeer Fri 03-Jul-09 00:43:18

Message withdrawn

MrsJohnCusack Fri 03-Jul-09 00:47:13

mine learnt them before he was 2 by avidly watching 'Word World' on Playhouse Disney <helpful> <lazy mother>

Metatron Fri 03-Jul-09 02:31:40

every letter makes a sound...

hedwig06 Fri 03-Jul-09 08:36:14

Hiya everyone,

Sorry for not replying earlier - LO a nightmare today!!!

Anyway - the leapfrog phonics I thnk you can get them at other places, but me being a skinflint thought I'd try ebay first, grin

No doubt they will drive me mad, like the same 4 books I keep reading over & over - my DH swears I sleeptalk the words in the night!!!

Portofino Fri 03-Jul-09 11:07:46

I'm humming that sodding tune now! We sold our one not long ago at a boot fair, so some other child is probably tormenting his poor mother as we speak! grin

But as i said, it did work!

hedwig06 Fri 03-Jul-09 14:12:22

Thanks Portofino

I will no doubt be joining you soon, grin

I can't wait, wink

robberbutton Fri 03-Jul-09 16:19:05

My 3 1/2 year old first got interested in letters through scoffing Organix Alphabet biscuits - he used to ask me what each one was. We also have ordinary letter fridge magnets (no tune), and some bath letters - something like this.

But we've ONLY done this because he's interested - I don't think it's a good idea to push it yourself.

fijibird Tue 14-Jul-09 20:08:52

I dont think that providing toys that are age appropriate that teach the alphabet song & phonics could ever be described as pushy. I bought loads of these items as my DS loved them - Leapfrog do lots of different versions & they are all pretty good. The Leapfrog Phonics Radio is also excellent & perfect for travel as it is small & light & kept my 15 month old very happy for long periods of time!!!! I would also say try Letterland magazine (you may need to order it) it is fab if they already like reading, also Fun with Phonics DVD & Finger Phonic Books (Amazon) were big hits in our house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now