Talk

Advanced search

Best pre-school models - Sweden - others?

(19 Posts)
semi Mon 15-Jun-09 09:28:46

Swedish pre-school methods are getting a lot of media coverage - are there any other models internationally that excel? And what do they offer that the UK doesn't? thanks everyone

thecloudhopper Mon 15-Jun-09 17:46:24

I would say the Regio Amelo aproach in Italy. That is a renound aproach and it is what the Wales Foundation Phase is based on. From what I have read in Sweden it is not seen as important to teach academic stuff until the child is ready. They concerntertae on teaching the skills wich make a more formal education easier.

I would say a lot would have to change before Britain got like that. Peoples mind sets wpuld need to change and that is not easy to do.

All quality educators however Should make learning an exciting experence no matter what the topic is. Its about thinking oustside the box and knowing your children and what they enjoy.

Hope that helps

ellingwoman Mon 15-Jun-09 17:54:59

I was just coming on to say Reggio Emilia. Creativity at the forefront with an 'artist in residence' and importance placed on the physical surroundings. Parents as real partners instead of just partners on paper.

cory Mon 15-Jun-09 22:56:13

One thing that is different in Sweden is that crafts and outdoor skills are so highly valued by society. Parents genuinely think it worthwhile for their offspring to spend a lot of time learning to cook or to read a map or to use a saw- whereas in this country you would have all the parents complaining that their offspring isn't being stretched unless they are reading and writing.

purepurple Wed 17-Jun-09 07:27:08

New Zealand has it's Te Whariki which incrporates a lot of the Maori culture amd means " a mat for all to stand on"
It is very child-led and some aspects are reflected in the EYFS

BonsoirAnna Wed 17-Jun-09 07:29:40

The French école maternelle is seen by many as the great social equaliser: it lasts for three year (3-6) full-time and enables children who start from disadvantaged backgrounds to improve their oral and social skills versus their more privileged peers before joining primary school. 99% of children attend école maternelle, despite it being entirely optional.

BonsoirAnna Wed 17-Jun-09 07:31:05

Oh, and teachers in école maternelle have the same qualifications as primary school teachers (since the mid-1980s). This may or may not be a good thing, according to who you are discussing it with!

semi Wed 17-Jun-09 11:47:08

I am considering moving to Northern Italy so that my daughter could benefit from this method....AM I CRAZY? WOULD YOU?

BonsoirAnna Wed 17-Jun-09 11:51:25

There are lots of great nursery schools in the UK - I'm not sure that drastic measures, like a move to Italy, are necessary...

semi Wed 17-Jun-09 14:17:00

Her father is from Venice - so it's not impossible

semi Wed 17-Jun-09 19:09:42

I am going to explore Te Whariki further - thanks. Would be great to have a list of countries...a goodgle search didn't reveal much suprisingly...I had thought about scandanivian countries and Japan - Sweden has been earmarked....Japan - seems to be very old school - almost archaic - (Hope i haven't offended anyone out there?!) please keep your thoughts coming through

hana Wed 17-Jun-09 19:12:07

yes - would be odd imo to move to another country to access preschool education (for a year, maybe 2?) unless you planned to stay awhile after that.......

my daughter goes to a fabulous preschool in west london just a 20 min walk away!

purepurple Wed 17-Jun-09 19:25:20

check out these websites

for wales and the foundation phase
www.conwy.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/333/Learning_in_the_Foundation_Phase.pdf

high/scope uk www.high-scope.org.uk/about_highscope/

the swedish education system in english www.skolverket.se/sb/d/190

and try the OECD for loads of info on different countries www.skolverket.se/sb/d/190

also try
Greece
Denmark
Germany

purepurple Wed 17-Jun-09 19:26:28

whoops!
OECD www.oecd.org/document/40/0,3343,en_2649_39263231_39767016_1_1_1_1,00.html

thecloudhopper Wed 17-Jun-09 21:28:46

oh yes if you google powys foundationm phase they have a good web

LIZS Wed 17-Jun-09 21:32:42

Agree with Reggio Emilia - ds' teachers at international school used to visit . In Europe there is also a culture of outdoor kindergartens - literally based in the woods , all weathers.

Lio Wed 17-Jun-09 21:42:46

And I also leapt on this to tell you about Reggio Emilia smile

semi Fri 19-Jun-09 07:46:12

Everyone is so kind sharing this info with me. When I get few moments to myself this weekend I will have a good look at all the info - thank you!

Bucharest Fri 19-Jun-09 07:50:14

T'is a shame for those of us in Italy but not in Reggio Emilia that the rest of Italy is so crap though.....(in fact, it's not even the whole of Reggio Emilia but pockets of excellence- more a method like Montessori than a whole region of superb nurseries IYSWIM)

(my SIL is a secretary in a materna in RE and can't believe ours down here in the boondocks)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now