Talk

Advanced search

Will I lose control once my DD starts Pre School?

(5 Posts)
petnik Thu 04-Jun-09 10:11:37

OK i'm probably being paranoid but my DD starts pre school in September and she will be three. At the moment I can control what she sees on TV, what she knows about, the stories she reads etc. I am worried that once in pre school she will hear about all sorts of stuff i don't think she is old enough for from other children. How have you dealt with this? The pre school is part of an infant / junior school but has it's own play area but she will be mixing with reception class. Am I being too much of a control freak? She already has nightmares about "the big bad wolf"!!! PS this is my first ever post on the site so hello to all.

meemar Thu 04-Jun-09 10:15:57

reception children are still only 4 and 5!

I wouldn't worry too much about what she'll learn from them smile

misshardbroom Thu 04-Jun-09 13:05:30

short of keeping your DD in an isolation tank, I can't see what you can do about this. And as meemar says, even reception children are really only babies themselves.

Even if you are using the full 12.5 hours provision, you will still be your child's main influence. And at preschool, she will also have the influence of other, caring, well qualified adults.

IME, there might be a small amount of Power Rangers / HSM related play, but really very little. And I also find that children tend to gravitate towards similar children, e.g. if your DD is quite a gentle, unworldly little soul, she probably won't become bosom buddies with the most streetwise child in the class.

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think you should underestimate quite how much your baby will still need you and look to you first for information and guidance.

UniS Thu 04-Jun-09 20:46:55

Hello- relax, try to worry less.
She will be exposed to things you may not have chosen to expose her to, but. Stories will be age appropriate, ditto toys, ditto visitors. She is highly unlikely to be sat watching power rangers at pre school, but yes, some of the other children might watch and more might play " power rangers" which is just another super hero role play game and a stage that many many 4 yr olds go through as they try and make sense of good and bad in the world.
If you want to see what they get up in preschool go along with her for some visits, once she is there do some parent helper sessions.
She is having nightmares now about big bad wolf, in a months time it will be about something else... You can;t control what she dreams about. Mine is terrified of bouncy castles.
He's been at preschool 2 months and not a word yet from him about Power rangers, Dora or Rory the racing car despite some of the other childrens obsession with them. My lad plays at being a train or a duck or a quad bike rider, loves "rescuing people stuck in mud" and being a "fireman".

petnik Mon 08-Jun-09 09:37:47

Thank you all so much for your reassurance. You guys are great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now