Talk

Advanced search

Pre-school sunscreen

(18 Posts)
imaginewittynamehere Tue 02-Jun-09 10:08:34

I dropped dd at pre-school this morning, covered in factor 50 sunscreen & with a big hat. She is there 9 - 11.30

One of the assistants asked me if there was sunscreen in her bag - er no I have covered her in factor 50 though so she is fine. Her reply is a snotty "in future make sure she has sunscreen" TBH I applied it as I think they have enough to do looking after 24 children to be applying sunscreen to them all which is why I made sure I did it this morning.

Surely factor 50 is good enough for 2 1/2 hrs play?

funnypeculiar Tue 02-Jun-09 10:12:28

I'm sure she's fine without any more cream, but I still think YABU. They are offering to ensure that your dd is properly protected. Making sure that everyone has suncream means that they can just check/reapply before going outside. Why's that a problem?

Gorionine Tue 02-Jun-09 10:20:08

I might be the only one with tis experience, but, we were asked in nursery to provide sun cream to DD1 and she told me nor neither nursery teacher nor TA ever applied it on her. The bottle indeed looked unused when the summer holiday started.

clayre Tue 02-Jun-09 10:20:58

we just get told to slap it on the morning before nursery, ds's preschool dont apply it

imaginewittynamehere Tue 02-Jun-09 10:28:19

I think I agree with you Gorioine - I don't have the confidence that they would apply it which is the other reason I did it. I do understand that a good pre-school will ensure that they have sunscreen & know I am lucky but really think that if I say I have applied sunscreen which will protect her for the session that this should be ok too.

Funnyprculiar how can they check sunscreen? IME the only way to do it is to time applications which again I'm not confident they have the logistics to do. Sunscreen is sticy & slimy enough without applying hundreds of unnecessary layers of it.

ramonaquimby Tue 02-Jun-09 10:33:33

would think most preschools ask for it to be applied before they come. I think it's enough - I always put more on as I pick up dd at 1130 (if weather is nice!)

treedelivery Tue 02-Jun-09 10:33:35

I see your point but because not all parents will apply in the mornings, a sweeping sunscreen for all is probably a good idea.

Better than burnt faces and the fall out as far as they are concerned. So your DD will be extra safe.

If they have asked for it thenm maybe thats a good sign they are keen to implement whatever policy they have.

Our preschool apply if it's sunny. I do it anyway but am happy for an extra layer to go on, what with nose wiping etc plenty could get rubbed off.

ramonaquimby Tue 02-Jun-09 11:07:18

I think it's ridiculous that because not all parents will apply suncream.......ALL kids are done at the preschool by the staff. Yet another example of schools taking over parenting roles. sigh

treedelivery Tue 02-Jun-09 11:19:39

ramonaquimby - True. It's depressing.

But I have forgotten, and been hugely gratefull to pre school for putting some on her for me.

funnypeculiar Tue 02-Jun-09 11:23:16

Humm, true, I guess I'm imagining a clearly just-been-creamed kid might get off more lightly than his/her obviously uncreamed counterpart.

My views are also influenced by the fact that our primary school (where obviously kids are there all day) won't apply suncream, and try and avoid having it brought into school. I'd rather someone applied two layers to a kid that didn't need it than refused to apply, really....

treedelivery Tue 02-Jun-09 11:31:59

This weird place I find myself in - where I am very much in charge of my dd and I know whats best and can be trusted and want to be the one who does the caring - but then she spends ages at preschool [and school to come], and they have a massive role, and I want them to care for her, but I'm still in charge right? But you do like her don't you? And you will look after her skin? But don't tell me how to parent!! And what did she eat? Did you make sure she ate? But don't tell me what to feed her! Or how! But what would you do? Are you questioning my parenting!?

This might be just me grin And is totally off topic!

In Aus if they don't have a hat and cream - they don't play out simple as that. And we have more skin cancer I think? So there must be something in the serious message they promote. Maybe.

UniS Tue 02-Jun-09 23:33:55

my lad is doing mornings only at a preschool were most children ( 75% +) do full days. So they ask at the door if children have been sunscreened and remind us that they will apply another coating at lunchtime. I get asked every time as I have not signed a permission slip for him to be sun screened by staff with Pre school supplied factor 50.

paisleyleaf Tue 02-Jun-09 23:43:04

Also, say if they get paint or anything on their arms...they'll wash it off.

nappyaddict Wed 03-Jun-09 01:06:23

Our preschool won't apply sun cream. They advise that everyone applies it before they arrive and use something like Ultrasun. You only have to apply it once and it lasts all day.

eandh Thu 04-Jun-09 06:48:59

we have a sunscreen policy that all parents had to sign to say that preschool would be applying suncream and we would use nivea factor 50 and if any child cannot use that cream could the parent inform preschool.

They do ask as you go in if the child has had suncream applied (assume they don't worry to do the ones that say they have had suncream applied!)

niche Wed 10-Jun-09 20:51:14

Our pre-school policy is that children arrive with sunscreen applied and staff top up during the day. We pay £1 a year towards the costs and they use Tesco own brand factor 50 as they apparently found it least likely to cause a reaction.

Parents also supply sunhats and sunglasses and children are expected to wear baggy tees and long shorts to minimise skin exposure.

norksinmywaistband Wed 10-Jun-09 21:00:49

We sign a form to say that we agree to apply sunscreen before Dc attend the preschool and it is our responsibility.
Children with no form signed, do not play outside.
They are only there for 2.5 hs in the morning - so one application is enough, and staf really do not have time to do this.

In our house its face/teeth/ sunscreen, get dressed grin

TigersChick Wed 10-Jun-09 21:07:20

Ours ask for children to be creamed before arriving at preschool.
If your DC are there all day you are asked to provide suncream which they re-apply at lunchtime. I've left a bottle there which has DD's name on it.
Very few children stay all day - it's a day nursery that does both 3-hour preschool sessions and wrap-around care.

I agree that one application should be plenty for a 2.5 - 3 hour session ... but I also think that I'd prefer the nursery to put an extra layer on than have a child burning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now