Talk

Advanced search

Outing arranged by DS's preschool - if school children go they want to see permission from school

(7 Posts)
Numberfour Tue 26-May-09 17:22:22

My DS's preschool has arranged a day outing next term. The notice says that if school aged siblings go along, then the preschool wants to see proof that the sibling's school has given permission for that child to miss school that day.

Surely it is none of their business whether that parent has permission for their child to be out of school? Or is there a type of blanket authority that all schools have to check up on attendance / truancy?

It does not affect me, but this has been bothering me for a while now.

RustyBear Tue 26-May-09 17:26:33

Presumably they don't want to be seen as condoning truancy. Who runs the pre-school? - if it's a LA run/funded group, then they would probably be expected to support their policies.

Numberfour Tue 26-May-09 17:29:50

That makes sense, RustyBear. It is LA funded.

thanks

WriggleJiggle Tue 26-May-09 22:18:14

Why would you take school age children on a pre school trip? Surely it would change the whole feel of the trip to have much older children there?

misshardbroom Fri 29-May-09 18:37:18

I assume it would be if the timing of the trip made school pickups / dropoffs difficult... but yes, it would surely alter the whole dynamic.

cat64 Fri 29-May-09 18:46:07

Message withdrawn

Numberfour Tue 02-Jun-09 07:49:01

i was wondering about it because i would have thought that it was nothing to do with the preschool whether parents kept their children out of school for that purpose.

i can see that having older children around would most certainly alter the feel of the day. And of course i agree that school children should be at school.

my main question was does the preschool have any jurisdiction - mnoral or otherwise - to insist on permission being obtained before school children are allowed on the trip.

makes sense to me now, though.

Thanks, everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now