Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is DS2 (23 mths) abnormally bright learner and what to do about it!?!

(12 Posts)
alphabeteer Thu 19-Mar-09 16:39:25

Thought I would ask for some MN experience/thoughts and wisdom on DS2, who is 23 months and astonishes me with his ability to learn numbers and letters. I can only base my experience on DS1 who's 3 yrs 8 mths, and way 'behind' his younger brother (who BTW is 22 mths younger!!!). DS1 seems more average in his learning.

DS2 knows 23 out of 26 letters. As you're loading a DVD or on TV he will actually read out from the screen 'DVD', or 'OK' etc. He seems to actually understand (not sure if possible!) that 'B' is for bear, as he will say when we are out and about when he sees a letter B, 'B for bear' and 'B for Bertie bus' etc. He just seems very keen and geeky when it comes to letters, and will bring me paper and pen saying 'draw M for mummy' etc. He can count 1-12 and read out these numbers, out of sequence. I tested him in the PO queue where there some birthday candles shaped like numbers for cakes. I started at 9 and went backwards - he got them all! And what amazes me is it's not just in favourite familiar books that he can say his letters, it's out and about with unusual signs in elaborate fonts.

From 21 mths people have asked 'when did he turn 2?' etc, as he seems so bright.

Does anyone think this is a bit abnormal?! I guess I really would like to know if anyone has expert views or experience of their on DCs being like this, as I wonder whether I should be doing something extra for him, to stretch him etc? Or is just normal and I can keep plonking him in front of CBeebies and be the neglectful mother I am most of the time!

Definitely not an annoying gloating mother, just one trying to keep ahead of her kids (for a change!). TIA.

thecloudhopper Thu 19-Mar-09 21:43:59

that is bright i would say .... in the reception class 4/5 year olds I am in about half know 23 sounds the rest know less!!

I would leave him as he is if he is bright he will just pick up on things. I would play lots with him talking all the time.

There is nothing wrong with stretching him but I would give him as many experiences as possible. This will help develop all areas of his development.

Chellesgirl Fri 20-Mar-09 21:55:30

WOW you have a really clever child. He seems to be learning fast. You can still sit him infront of cbeebies. Its obviously done him the wrold of good. Children pick up so much from tele.

My dd is 1 and she says, aahhh baby, mum, daddy, dirty, flower (sounds more like ower), kiss (sounds more like this), and nanny. When I went back to work for one week not so long ago, DP put her infront of cbeebies everyday. I wasnt impressed as I didnt think she needed to be watching tele all day, but It actually did her the world of good.

I say dont stretch him as such. Just give him the building blocks in which to learn more. For e.g buy some flash cards anything that will stimulate his mind. dont push him , he will learn more if you are just guiding him.

coxclan7 Tue 09-Jun-09 12:15:48

Children develop at amazingly different rates. My son knew all his letters phonetically by the time he was 2. However, he was really slow at blending them in order to read. He is now 12 though and is reading adult books and is in the top few children in every subject. So, I'd say you've got a bright child and should go with the flow and give him play/eductaional material to support the level he is at.

pollyglot Wed 10-Jun-09 17:28:02

You could do so many things with him to extend his experiences (and, of course, his brother!)
Walks, where you can point out colours of cars/houses/doors, different types of trees, flowers, animals, noises. A water trough with lots of coloured beakers and different shaped and textured objects. Books with pictures and stickers, a sand pit, blocks and shapes, playdough and cutters, things to bang and shake. Most of all, ENJOY extending him! Reading to a bright child (or any child) is a true joy, specially a book that requires silly noises and voices. Pictures of animals, people, vehicles, objects. TV has a very limited place, IMO. It is not interactive and does not reinforce a bright child in the way a parent can. He is not too young to go on farm visits, to meet and pet animals, look at tractors, feel and smell plants, the earth, other textures.
Lucky you, to have so much joy!

Stigaloid Wed 17-Jun-09 11:33:56

Sounds normal to me. My DS is 23 months and sounds pretty much identical to yours

katiestar Wed 17-Jun-09 17:09:09

My eldest Ds started learning letters about 18m and could recognise many sight words at 2.But he is 14 now and while quite bright , (he goes to a grammar school) is certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

vesela Wed 17-Jun-09 23:19:51

DD knew all the letter sounds by about 21 months, and around her second birthday wanted to "play letters" all the time (I bought her some magnetic fridge letters- the Jolly Phonics ones are great). She can make a few words with them and gets it when I switch letters in words.

At 27 months, though, she's not as obsessed by letters as she was - at the moment she's mostly pretend playing. These things seem to go in waves - I think they let you know what they want to do when they want to do it.

hester Wed 17-Jun-09 23:23:28

Bless him, he sounds like a bright little bee (so does yours, Stigaloid - no need to be modest, you know he's leading the pack!)

SleeplessinScotland Thu 18-Jun-09 15:51:13

God! Mine must be thick! DS (2 in 2 weeks) calls every number and letter E, but thought that was ok as he isn't 2 yet and haven't practised with him either other than correcting (all) the wrong ones.
Other DS (4 in 2 weeks) is very good with numbers and letters and is more 'booky' than his brother, but I had put that down to us having lived in Asia and him going to preschool there. (they can be quite pushy with education there and mine was the only kid that didn't have a tutor and extra lessons in the afternoon)
The one thing I have learned from that is encourage and support them, but never push them to learn more than they are ready for.

emy72 Tue 23-Jun-09 16:12:18

He seems very much in what I would class as the norm to me, especially as a second born. My second born was exactly the same and knew all his letters before 2 as he heard us doing them with his sister. We didn't even teach him directly, he just picked it up from what we were doing with her. In my experience this is not a sign of great intelligence, it's just some kids are good at some things earlier than others (but they all catch up in the end lol) and they all have different things they learn quicker than others. For example my daughter was very advanced in motor skills at an early age etc etc
I would just persevere providing him with a range of stimula and extending his experiences in a wide range of things, ensuring he continues to grow and learn all round. The most important thing is that he continues to enjoy it and doesn't get switched off learning xxxx

alphabeteer Wed 24-Jun-09 18:49:56

Thank you all. What I HAVE learnt is that there is huge variety in what people call normal!

DS2 in question is now 26 mths. I think he has an exceptional memory which makes his recall astonishing. I taught him 'multi-coloured' once the other week and he said it yesterday looking at a marble with 3 colours in it! He now knows all his letters and can count to 20 so I think I will just let him free-reel and see what happens!!!

DS1 is no longer a concern and his new teachers don't think there is a dyslexia issue, phew.

What is hard is not doing DS1's homework of letters etc with bright DS2 around as he's a total show off and reduces DS1 to tears.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now