Talk

Advanced search

Do you agree with preschools doing computer based play/learning?

(50 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 22:26:49

Just wondering really what people think.

islandofsodor Wed 14-Jan-09 22:30:04

I'm not sure about preschools but I think OFSTED expect it at nurseries.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 22:38:59

Why would they only expect it at a nursery (presume you mean the sort attached to a school?) and not at a preschool which is essentially the same thing - just not part of the LEA.

Clayhead Wed 14-Jan-09 22:59:24

They do expect it in pre-schools! It is in the EYFS and was in the previous Stepping Stones.

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Jan-09 23:01:39

No - I pretty sure they only have it in DD's nursery becuase OFSTED expect it. I don't think a child will be delayed by not using a computer or wathing TV untill they are 4.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:06:09

LS - would you prefer it if DD's nursery didn't have a computer?

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:07:56

No no no no no!

I would love it if my child didn't use the computer until they were 5/6/7. What are they possibly going to gain from sitting staring at a computer screen at that age? I want them to be experiencing real life and learning social skills. Plenty of time for computers later.
Bet there aren't many 10 year olds who hate computers or can't use one farily well.

I do wonder what they are actually learning at such a young age. It seems to be wither reinforcing their language/mathematical skills or learning mouse control.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:08:05

Just found this:

"ICT - is about how children find out about and learn how to use appropriate information technology such as computers and programmable toys that support their learning."

So presumably they don't have to have a computer if they have programmable toys whatever they are?

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:09:55

WJ - is it just computers at nursery you disagree with or using the computer at home at that age aswell? What about those vtech laptops, vsmile consoles and leapster type things?

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:09:57

True, I can see the point of them using a 'turtle' or similar, but I would object to them sitting infront of a screen.

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:10:31

Hate 'em all.
Bah humbug!

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:12:03

I know how I would get around it. I'd have them learning how to use a washing machine or drive an electronic car. That probably covers the control technology bit.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:13:05

oooh what about the smart cycle or the driving console or the dance camera

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Jan-09 23:15:18

nappyaddict, I think I would prefer it if DD's nursery didn't have a computer (They didn't when DS! was there and it has in no way adversly affected his computer skills). She spends long enough at home on the computer (IMo), and also spends an hour a week (sometimes upto 2) on the internet when we are at the gym waiting for her brothers doing their Tae Kwon Do (sp?) So has ample chance of pracicing hour mouse and keyboard skills.

However, I think there is a place for computers in learning, and am more than happy for reception classrooms to have computers - infact I would be disapointed if they didn't.

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Jan-09 23:16:46

I mean; today it's learning how to use a PC, and the next thing you know she'll be spendind all evening on Mumsnet.

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:18:28

Dance cam - possibly. Others - definitely no. I think I'm just too old fashioned blush.
I guess this isn't the right thread to admit to being (in the past) an ICT teacher is it grin.

islandofsodor Wed 14-Jan-09 23:24:19

I wasn't sure about pre-schools becaus the dc never went to one (2 year waiting list and we moved into the area late) and I didn;t know if the village hall type pre-school whcihour local one is would have computer facilities.

I think its great that young children learn computer skills. Anything that rewards manual dexterity, co-ordination and thinking skills.

Of course it all has to be within the context of a wide range of activities.

WriggleJiggle Wed 14-Jan-09 23:28:15

But a computer isn't the place for manual dexterity, co-ordination and thinking skills.
Manual dexterity - threading buttons, clay ...
co-ordination - physical activity, musical instruments
thinking skills - lego, baking

THere are so many better activities they should be doing. Although admitidly, I haven't proved that with my suggestions.

islandofsodor Wed 14-Jan-09 23:29:26

They did all that as well wriggle, but the dc really got a sense of achievment out of doing number activities and jigsaw type things on the computer.

Worth it for the lookson their faces.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:30:53

WJ - so are ypu happy that children do computer based learning in the foundation stage and KS1 or would you prefer it to be hold off until KS2.

nappyaddict Wed 14-Jan-09 23:31:12

sorry about my terrible english in that last post!

LynetteScavo Wed 14-Jan-09 23:36:56

Actually, thinking about it, I'd be happy if there were no computers in the classromm untill Y1.

However, I'm not happy that DS, in Y5 only does ICT (or what ever it is called now) once a fortnight. He does have computers in the classroom to use, though.

Washersaurus Wed 14-Jan-09 23:57:17

DS1 uses the computer at preschool (and at home sometimes), but also does lots of physical activities too. I don't see what the issue is really; computers are part of everyday life these days, so why shouldn't children learn how to use them (in moderation obviously)?

I wouldn't be happy if he was sat in front of a screen all day though.

gladders Thu 15-Jan-09 13:42:00

ds is 4 and loves the short time on pc at preschool. there are 24 kids for the morning and 1 pc so no possibility of hours on it...

think it's a good thing - means all the kids in the class get to have a go not just the ones with access at home?

ben5 Thu 15-Jan-09 13:45:11

ds pre school have a computer that they can use but as there are lots of things going on they don't seem that interested in it. it's like chocolate the more you ban it the more you want it! i like the computer being around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now