Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a Nursery

(11 Posts)
SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 14:47:24

I live very close to an outstanding nursery school but I have decided I really love the one on the other more mixed side of town. In terms of popularity, the one I live near is much more sought after than the one on the other side of town.

I really don't want DD to go to the one close to me at all, much to my surprise I dislike everything about it. How do I best fill out my form? Shall I just choose the one I love as my first choice and then leave choices 2 and 3 blank?

SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 14:54:50

shameless bump

Threadworm Mon 05-Jan-09 15:17:45

Is your worry that if you put in a second choice they are more likely to bump you off your first choice than if you left the second choice blank?

I can remember having the same sort of worry. I can't imagine that they would be as crude as that. But perhaps you ought to ask the local ed authority.

Does your preferred nursery get oversubscribed?

SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 15:43:42

Thanks Threadie. Yes, that is precisely my worry. I think the one I much prefer gets filled up but I suspect is not over subscribed as a first choice. But if someone lives very close to the one I love but only has it as their third choice presumably they would get in ahead of me even though it's my first choice?

A lottery would be much fairer on everybody wouldn't it?

Threadworm Mon 05-Jan-09 16:52:39

Hmm, I don't know -- which isn't a useful response except that it bumps the thread.

I hope that you are successful in getting the place you want, anyway.

<hijack:> I have this nagging worry that because I was feeling low the other week I may have 'overshared' in my last email, in a way that might make you decide you didn't want to meet me after all. I'm v. normal in the flesh -- no rl friends know that I get low. So if you were to meet me it wouldn't at all be a morbid draining presence. I just find the written word a bit too easily confessional I think. Which is lovely for me, but perhaps a little too much for the reader?

SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 17:49:00

<hijack - LOL you wally. I am v v v much looking forward to it. btw I don't know anyone who doesn't get low sometimes. God, and I loved that email. I feel bad now.>

SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 17:52:15

I feel rather ashamed about my angst over the nursery place. blush

Littlefish Mon 05-Jan-09 18:02:06

Swedes - I wouldn't leave the other places blank. If for some reason you don't get a place at your first choice school, the LEA would then just allocate you a place at the nearest school with a space. Given that your nearest one is oversubscribed, you might be allocated one which you definitely do not want your dd to go to.

Visit a couple of other nurseries and put them down as 2nd and 3rd choices. I really wouldn't leave it blank.

Threadworm Mon 05-Jan-09 18:04:13

Oh good re me being a wally.

Why ashamed re angst?

I feel bad that my feeling bad about your possible bad feelings about my saying that I feel bad has made you feel bad about feeling bad about nursery.

nowwearefour Mon 05-Jan-09 18:12:02

if your area does the solution the same way as around where i live if you meet the criteria and it is your number 1 choice you would be higher up the list than anyone who has put it at no 3 no matter where they live. i would put what you want as no 1. put the other one as no 2 maybe?

SwedesInACape Mon 05-Jan-09 19:27:53

Littlefish and nowweare - Thank you both. I'll fill in all three choices.

Threadie - grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now