Talk

Advanced search

Question about relief pre-school leaders/assistants.

(6 Posts)
Ripeberry Wed 22-Oct-08 17:49:01

Hi, at our pre-school we have one pre-school leader and assistant and they are both NVQ 3.
The thing is that sometimes they have a lady come in and she will take the pre-school leader's place when she is on training days or on holiday.
I don't know this lady that well, but as i'm the secretary now of the committee i have to ask her if she is qualified.
As previously, the old pre-school leader NEVER let her have sole charge but would never say why.
I don't want to get in trouble with Ofsted or the committee either.
Unless, this lady can provide proof of her qualifications does it mean that she MUST NOT help out if there is only one staff member with NVQ 3?
I suppose she could still help out as a "parent" helper but she does not have a child at the pre-school.
Sorry for all the questions, i'm trying to tie up a lot of loose ends.

Eddas Wed 22-Oct-08 18:49:07

I don't know, but thought i'd bump for you smile

Ripeberry Wed 22-Oct-08 20:21:15

Bumpety bump!

FrockHorror Wed 22-Oct-08 20:26:42

She can help out as long as she is CRB checked for that particular group as long as she is being supervised by a Level 3 qualified person.

If she is not qualified, then obviously she can't be left in charge of the group so will have to prove her qualifications before (and have a current CRB check).

HTH

Ripeberry Wed 22-Oct-08 20:35:56

Thanks Frockhorror. Does she need to fill in a EY2 from Ofsted or would she need an enhanced CRB from one of the outside agencies? It's just confusing as she is not a committee member and she is not on domestic premises.
I rang Ofsted and they don't seem to know either! There must be something for Ad-hoc helpers?

Ripeberry Thu 23-Oct-08 10:04:44

Sorted! She was quite relieved someone had asked her about qualifications, turns out she does not have any 1st aid or CRB check.
I think everyone assumed she was OK because she always has other peoples children with her (like a nanny), but it's never for more than 1hr at a time after school.
I've volunteered for now to help out as i've got paediatric 1st aid and i'm CRB checked as i'm registering as a Home based childminder but it's been put on hold until we can get the pre-school back on its feet and secure.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: