Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got any experience of dc loving nursery then suddenly deciding to hate it?

(8 Posts)
squeaver Wed 24-Sep-08 18:18:46

Dd is 3.9. Started new nursery 3 weeks ago. Absolutely loved it, couldn't wait to go every day. Now, she hates it. I had to bring her home today after she screamed the place down and would not be separated from my thigh.

Teachers said she'd been a bit "off" this week and keeps going to the loo. So we went to the docs and she's not got an infection. She did have an accident at school 2 weeks ago but was totally fine about it, never mentioned it. It seems a bit weird that she's suddenly bothered about it now.

Anyway, obviously we will have to persevere, just wondering if anyone has any handy hints for getting through this?

Should also say, she's already done a year of nursery, has been left at countless clubs, parties etc and never given me a backward glance. Also, she didn't know anyone at the new school but seems to have made lots of friends - she's a very sociable, confident girl usually.

squeaver Wed 24-Sep-08 18:29:52

bump

thehouseofmirth Wed 24-Sep-08 18:47:47

Can't offer any reassurance or solutions but I am in a similar-ish situation. DS started nursery last week and had a lovely week last week. Went in happily on Monday but yesterday was adamant he wanted to go home, so we did. Although he is incredibly articulate it is impossible to talk to him about it as he comes up with lots of different reasons. Tried to talk to him today and he said a girl had been hitting him but when I gently tried to find out more he told me she had pink hair and minutes later he told me it was all his imagination and that no one had hit him. Let him stay off today as he does have a cold (though I am sure his is not the reason he didn't want to go) but feel I must try tomorrow and will stay with him all afternoon if that helps.

Until recently DH & I had been fairly anti-pre school and decided to just try him and see what he thought, thinking if he didn't like it, it didn't matter. But after my bit of freedom in three years last week and DS enjoying it so much I must admit I'm a bit gutted!

squeaver Wed 24-Sep-08 19:16:11

Thanks HoM, nice to know someone else is in the same boat. I spent all last week telling everybody how brilliantly dd was doing. Serves me right!

squeaver Wed 24-Sep-08 20:02:15

bump again for evening crowd

squeaver Thu 25-Sep-08 08:53:42

Another hopeful bump. First thing she said to me this morning was "I don't want to go to school". She goes in at 1 so any advice for surviving the next few hours would be greatly appreciated.

Smithagain Sat 27-Sep-08 19:59:23

My friend runs a playgroup. She tells me that week three is when children who settled in well at first often throw a wobbly. Something to do with the novelty wearing off and realising that they have to carry on going.

Hang in there - she'll come through it.

Taichimum Wed 22-Oct-08 21:39:34

My ds has just done the same thing. We had to play school for ages before he started, dressing up in his nursery uniform etc. He was so excited. He love it for a week. Now he hates it and cries in the morning and says he doesn't want to go any more. I can get any sense out of him why is doesn't like it either. I think it either is he is intimidated by the other children or the novelty has just worn off.
I am gutted sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now