Talk

Advanced search

Pre-school dilemma -- WWYD?

(9 Posts)
MegBusset Fri 19-Sep-08 13:11:56

DS will be two in February and we'd hoped to start sending him to pre-school then for two days a morning, so he will be settled in by the time DC2 comes along in April.

There are two pre-schools near us, one is a mainstream and one is a Montessori. Both seem nice although we prefer the mainstream one as it is less focused on teaching, and more on free play which I think would be more suitable for him at 2.

The Montessori have places available from Feb and would let us book them now with a £130 deposit. However, the mainstream one will not let us prebook and don't have a waiting list system -- we would have to call in January and find out if there was a place available. They say it's quite likely that they will be full until September.

So WWYD? Enrol him at the Montessori so that he's got a guaranteed place in Feb then change him to the mainstream one in Sept? Is it a bad idea to swap pre-schools after 6 months?

MegBusset Fri 19-Sep-08 19:11:35

Bump

TheBlonde Fri 19-Sep-08 19:19:44

I did similar with DS
He went to a montessori from April - July and then switched to a regular preschool in Sept that was nearer to home
The summer break is long so changing wasn't an issue for us

No wait list seems a bit mad

LIZS Fri 19-Sep-08 19:21:00

why do you need to move him ?

Redwood Fri 19-Sep-08 19:21:14

I would go for the montessori, as both my dd who is now 5 and ds who is 3 go to one and I think it is excellent and they are/were very happy. But the one near you may be different, do you ahve anyone locally you can get an opinion from, where do you live - can you say vaguely?

MegBusset Fri 19-Sep-08 20:40:41

Thanks for replies.

LIZS: I suppose I wouldn't need to move him if he settled in fine at the Montessori, but if I thought he would prefer the mainstream one then I would need to move him in September.

Redwood: The Montessori nursery has only been open since Jan so it's hard to get a word-of-mouth opinion. I do like it but wonder if it's a bit too learning-focused for a just 2yo. What age did yours start?

chankins Fri 19-Sep-08 20:45:53

My dds both went to our local montessori at aged 3 years, and the learning approach was just right for them, and prepared them nicely for starting school the year after.

Not sure how they are run for 2 year old though. I would go back and ask about this.

Redwood Fri 19-Sep-08 20:46:57

both at 2 and at that age they were learnign through structured play and then as they get older it comes closed to direct learnign we would regonise but I love the calming influence also makes them tidy and good at sharing and helping others....

MinkyBorage Fri 19-Sep-08 20:52:08

My experience of montessori here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now