Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's DC started Montessori at 2?

(7 Posts)
MegBusset Thu 18-Sep-08 12:53:04

We have been looking at local pre-schools for DS to start next year (he'll be 2 in Feb) -- two mornings a week. One is a Montessori which we really like, it's a nice welcoming environment, the manager seems lovely and the children seem happy.

I just wondered whether it might be a bit too structured for a just-2yo -- DS (currently 18mo) has a tendency to wander off during music groups etc and I wonder if he'll struggle to focus on the activities that require sitting down.

I could defer entry til next Sept but DC2 is due in April so I'd hoped to have him settled in before then so I can have a couple of mornings on my own with the new baby.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of a 2yo going to Montessori and whether they found it too structured?

castille Thu 18-Sep-08 13:04:48

There's a class for 2-3yos at my DD's school that DS will be going to part-time when he's around 2.5.

The point of Montessori at this age is that they do whatever activity takes their fancy at their own pace, it isn't supposed to be very structured at all.

How much time are they expected to spend doing group activities?

OrmIrian Thu 18-Sep-08 13:09:18

Yes. dS#1. I can't say he settled that well but TBH he didn't settle that well at school when he was 4. Stucture and DS#1 don't go well together hmm.

DD however loved it. She was a bit older older though.

The 'structure' is quite loose TBH. An hour of quiet play in the morning - ie sitting down and colouring/drawing etc. And they are expected to look after their own coats/shoes etc and be a little independent. But all done in the gentlest manner possible. For the child who suits it, it's perfect IME.

TheBlonde Thu 18-Sep-08 13:17:16

DS went to a montessori at 2yo, 3 afternoon sessions
He was a bit young as he wasn't talking v much but he did settle fine

As castille says Montessori isn't all that structured, they just do which activity they fancy

kt14 Fri 10-Oct-08 11:28:14

my gentle little niece went to their nursery from about 18 months, she's now 3.6 and doing so well there that my sister's going to put her all the way through their prep school. They can't speak highly enough of it, but i think the one she goes to (up near York) is supposed to be one of the best ones in the country.

MollieO Fri 10-Oct-08 13:42:58

My ds went to Montessori at 2. Did 2 afternoon sessions to start with and then switched to 2 mornings a week. Gradually built up to 4.5 days in preparation for starting reception this term.

I was always amazed at his feedback sessions how well he did what was required of him (he used to wander off in his music class too). Although my ds was 2.2 when he started he had delayed development so was still in nappies, had just started walking etc. I was so impressed at what he did there. I also preferred the free choice element rather than the timetabled alternative we looked at "10.10am water table play" etc.

marfy Wed 22-Oct-08 20:10:08

montessori is for children from 0 - 18 (that is years old)! as the whole philosophy is to `follow the child` a good montessori school will do just that. the child should be supported to find activities he wants to do, a guided to things that will attract him. never too stuctured, just offering things that they will love.

martha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now