Talk

Advanced search

Aprons - a Montessori thing?

(7 Posts)
Smithagain Wed 17-Sep-08 20:17:42

DD2 has just started at a Montessori nursery.

They have a "uniform" of a smock-style apron, which the children wear all morning. In common with most of the other new children, DD is not too keen on wearing it - she's the sort of child that likes to strip off at a moment's notice, so probably doesn't like the extra layer.

To be fair, the nursery is not pressing the issue or making them wear them when they don't want to. But all the established children do wear them, so I guess they will conform eventually!

I just wondered if this is a standard Montessori thing? Do aprons have some deep philosophical purpose - or is it just someone's bright idea?!

geogteach Wed 17-Sep-08 20:24:17

saves their clothes if nothing else. My older kids went to a day nursery where the kids wore these, DS2 goes to a local pre school where he constantly comes home covered in paint that doesn't come out.

TheBlonde Wed 17-Sep-08 20:26:05

DS went to a montessori and a "normal" preschool
Both did smocks, very useful for protecting their clothes imho

Smithagain Wed 17-Sep-08 20:43:11

I guess so. I'm all in favour of aprons for painting, cooking etc. Just not so sure why they have to wear them for (e.g.) going for a walk. She looked like a big teddy bear with her clothes, apron and fleece on yesterday. Quite a grumpy, hot teddy bear at that!!

TheBlonde Wed 17-Sep-08 20:46:01

Maybe take the fleece off?
If they go out then it's easier for them to spot if a kid tries to escape if they are all matching

Smithagain Wed 17-Sep-08 21:03:21

They put the fleece on - I guess I'll just have to make sure she's wearing minimal clothing and doesn't have a properly warm coat with her!

Funny you should say that about escaping. She did today. Not for long and she wasn't upset or hurt. But I'm still wondering how much I should worry about it ... hopefully she gave them enough of a scare that there's no chance of it happening again hmm

TheBlonde Wed 17-Sep-08 21:26:10

I'd be hmm about that too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now