Talk

Advanced search

Don't know if this is unreasonable or not - nursery 'reports'?

(8 Posts)
lovecat Tue 16-Sep-08 23:58:54

DD has just started nursery attached to a school, 5 days a week.

Prior to this she attended a full time nursery 3 days a week.

At her old nursery we received a little report sheet every day, telling us what she'd done, what she'd eaten etc etc. The nursery nurses would also go into great verbal detail about DD's day.

At the school nursery I am lucky if I get a 'yeah, she was fine' and certainly no sign of any report type thing. As DD is a very finicky eater, and her response to 'what did you have for lunch' has so far been either 'nothing' or 'a very big, sweet dog', I'd like to know what she ate...

So is this normal in nursery 'school' and am I being far too PFB, or is this nursery not doing what it ought to do?

I have nothing to compare it to, all my friends children are still in their full time private nurseries as yet (they all get these daily report sheets too) so DD is the first to take the plunge, iyswim...

The teachers in the nursery seem more keen on getting the parents in and out of there than chatting (another culture shock) so I don't want to make an idiot of myself by demanding her report if it's not a usual thing...

Cheers

pucca Wed 17-Sep-08 00:01:06

Lovecat... Think it is quite normal, when my dd went to pre school i got no feedback at all really. Quite odd really.

I did get the option to go in and speak to them on a one to one, but even then they didn't really tell me anything.

mabanana Wed 17-Sep-08 00:03:21

No, it's education not childcare you are in now, totally different. You will only get a school type report once a year, and a parents evening, not daily reports of her every bowel motion! (not that I ever had one of those with any of the kids, actually, and never wanted one)

toomanyballs Wed 17-Sep-08 00:08:08

I'd ask direct questions. What was lunch and how much did she eat? What activities did she do today?

She is there a long time for you to have no idea what is going on.

mabanana Wed 17-Sep-08 00:10:15

No, these are teachers, not nursery workers! Would you ask your child's teachers what they had for lunch? You have to trust them. They will find you highly irritating if you bug them for hours about the details of your child's day.

toomanyballs Wed 17-Sep-08 00:11:00

DS2 had a book filled in every day and DS3 (different pre-school)has no book but great feed back from the staff and there is going to be some sort of at least weekly book soon.

toomanyballs Wed 17-Sep-08 00:14:32

If my child was unable to tell me what they had for lunch and what they did that day then I would have to ask.

lovecat Wed 17-Sep-08 00:15:10

Thanks, mabanana, I suspected that was probably the case - she just seems so little still! <shuffles off sniffling>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now