Talk

Advanced search

would you mention to the teachers if your child said another kid had hit him at playschool?

(7 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 16-Sep-08 21:26:27

DS had his first day at nursery today, and was really excited about going. I stayed with him for about fifteen minutes and them retreated to another room to let him get on with it as he was happily running around. Anyway, when the session had ended, i went to get him and he was a bit quiet and said he iddnt want to go back (hes been absolutely dying to go all summer), i put this down to first day wobble, and also tiredess and hunger. When we got back, i noticed a red line on his cheek, and asked him how it happened, and he said another boy had hit him accross the face.
I know this type of thing happens at nursery and its one of those things, I'm not that outraged that it happened, i talked about how to cope if it happened again, and didnt make a big deal about it.
But should i mention it to the teacher? DS said he cried, and im a bit annoyed that no one mentioned it to me (just so i knew what happened, rather than trying to decipher ds's version of events)
would you say something to the teachers, or leave it and hope it doesn't happen again?

bobsyouruncle Tue 16-Sep-08 21:31:55

I'd ask, if he was hit and cried they should have mentioned it to you. This actually did happen to ds at nursery today and they did tell me he was hit & cried, not a big deal but glad they told me. Ds has of course given me several versions of what happened hmm

piximon Tue 16-Sep-08 21:31:59

I think it may come up tomorrow or when you next take him. If he's anything like mine he'll cling to your leg and point a bony finger at the culprit and denounce him at the top of his voice grin. Failing that, I'd have a quiet word with his keyworker as it should have been mentioned to you.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 16-Sep-08 21:37:35

Yes i think they should have mentioned it, unless it happened and no one saw, I kust didnt want to come accross as over protective, they already think im weird as i dont want him to go five days! smile
I saw a couple of scraps initiated by one boy who is into hitting his way to the toys he wants while i was there for the first bit of the morning....actually i had to break one up myself!!

HenriettaJones Thu 18-Sep-08 19:51:51

Ordinarily I would say not to mention it, the chances are there'll be several scraps a day and many of them will go unnoticed, even by the participants!
But a red mark across the cheek is a bit much, if the staff didn't notice then they need to know, and if they did notice why didn't they tell you?
They need to know which child did this, so they can keep an eye out for repeats.
I hope your little one is feeling better now about nursery and enjoying the good stuff!

geraldinetheluckygoat Fri 19-Sep-08 20:38:44

Thanks, Henriettajones, and others for the advice! I did mention to the staff the next day, and they were very appologetic, saying that there had been a bit of a scuffle over the trikes and they had forgotten to mention it. I felt better for saying something, and ds had a good day the next day, so it's all fine now!

HenriettaJones Sat 20-Sep-08 15:59:11

Excellent! And by the way, I too have struggled with the idea of 5 days a week! It's tough this nursery malarkey!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now