Talk

Advanced search

Good word/number games/books/activities for frustrated pre-schooler?

(8 Posts)
FrazzledFairyFay Mon 18-Aug-08 10:06:16

My DD is 2.11 and can identify letters and numbers, and knows what words begin with eg if I say 'bird' she'll say that begins with b. She can also do counting and basic adding up eg if I say 'we need five coins to pay and we only have 2, how many more do we need', she can tell me that we need 3 more.

I really don't want to push her but she is bored of all the word/number games that I've made up, and I wondered if anyone knew of any other good games / books / activity sheets or similar which I could use to stimulate her, without being pushy? Any help much appreciated

TheMadHouse Mon 18-Aug-08 10:09:10

We have just bought a bingo game from Leappad and it is great. 1-10, basic addition, colours, shapes and animals.

My two love it and they are 3.5 and 2. 2 year old loves the colours, so works really well for us. It was £12 from Tesco and I think we will get loads of use from it.

Also we are off camping, so have just got my first scrable and monoploly to try so will report back. Board games are great as they can count the squares, use a dice etc.

FrazzledFairyFay Mon 18-Aug-08 11:35:41

Thanks, I'll have a look for that one.

I hadn't thought of doing board games but I will have a go with those as well.

FrazzledFairyFay Mon 18-Aug-08 20:17:31

Any other ideas also much appreciated...

ChasingSquirrels Mon 18-Aug-08 20:24:00

snakes and ladders and other simple board games (make your own - we made a fab one with ds1 on a roll of lining paper with 3 tracks for cars, red blue and green, with oil slicks (skid back 2 spaces), petrol pumps (go forward 3 spaces), short cuts etc. Comics often have simple games in them.
The ELC hedgehog game is a nice counting one.
Orchard Toys games.
playing shop/cafe - I made a "menu" for ds1 with items, pictures (from clip art) and prices and laminated it, then printed it out 4 sheets to a page and cut them up to make a menu pad, we had to order off the pad, he would add it it, then we paid and he gave change. she maybe a bit young for that but it was really good.
Guess who.
Dominos

ChasingSquirrels Mon 18-Aug-08 20:24:00

snakes and ladders and other simple board games (make your own - we made a fab one with ds1 on a roll of lining paper with 3 tracks for cars, red blue and green, with oil slicks (skid back 2 spaces), petrol pumps (go forward 3 spaces), short cuts etc. Comics often have simple games in them.
The ELC hedgehog game is a nice counting one.
Orchard Toys games.
playing shop/cafe - I made a "menu" for ds1 with items, pictures (from clip art) and prices and laminated it, then printed it out 4 sheets to a page and cut them up to make a menu pad, we had to order off the pad, he would add it it, then we paid and he gave change. she maybe a bit young for that but it was really good.
Guess who.
Dominos

ChasingSquirrels Mon 18-Aug-08 20:24:16

I Spy

FrazzledFairyFay Wed 20-Aug-08 11:54:56

Thanks Squirrels. I think I need to get creative smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now