Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Graduation ceremony for four year olds. Madness?

(41 Posts)
MummyPenguin Thu 19-Jul-07 16:42:00

It seems odd for me to be posting in the pre-school section as I haven't had a child at pre-school for years, but.. saw a picture in my local paper of some four year olds who have had a full on Graduation ceremony on departing pre-school for primary. We're talking mortar boards(is that what they're called? The hat type thing - you can tell I didn't go to Uni ) and cloaks and certificates for 'graduating from their early years education.'

All seems a bit or is it just me?

bobsmum Thu 19-Jul-07 16:48:46

OTT with mortar boards I think!

Although ds(4)also had a "graduation" at his nursery at the end of term. He had to dress up as a pirate and got a big pack of felt tips. Does that count?

MummyPenguin Thu 19-Jul-07 16:54:05

That sounds very normal.

Pamina Thu 19-Jul-07 16:56:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brimfull Thu 19-Jul-07 16:57:08

barmy ,we are becoming very like the usa. LOads of things I love baout usa ,but this is not one of them

tiredemma Thu 19-Jul-07 16:58:04

Glad ds's nursery doesnt do this odd thing

Pamina Thu 19-Jul-07 16:59:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MummyPenguin Fri 20-Jul-07 13:30:09

Is it? I do know that it's a mutli-lingual nursery (not in the sense that kids graduate being multi-lingual but that they have lots of different nationalities there) and is called the Al-Abah something... <not quite sure>

bobbysmum07 Sun 22-Jul-07 00:04:04

You know, the people who run/work in this nursery are only trying to do something nice for the kids and parents.

No need to be so nasty.

2shoes Sun 22-Jul-07 00:05:32

sounds really sweet

REBELlatrixlestrange Sun 22-Jul-07 00:12:31

One of the two local (state-run) pre-school nurseries does this.

I always though it was quite cute.

ktmoomoo Sun 22-Jul-07 00:27:56

my nephew had one of these it was so cute , i think it a lovely idea xx it a big step leaving nursery it a good way to mark the occation xxhe hAD a picture taken they all wore the hats and gowns too

PrettyCandles Sun 22-Jul-07 00:32:48

PMSL at the little tots in their mortar boards and gowns . What excessive nonsense!

Dd's nursery hold a Leavers' Party at the end of every term, all the children get to wear fancy dress (or whatever they want) and those leaving for school get a present and a special goodbye and goodluck song sung to them by all the other children. Parents watch and take photos. Very sweet and unfussy.

ktmoomoo Sun 22-Jul-07 00:44:41

they loved it it made them feel special on thier last day xx

Hulababy Sun 22-Jul-07 21:48:53

If the little ones enjoy it and feel special, and are having fun then what is the harm? Leaving nursery can be a really big thing for little ones, why not make it a special day?

portonovo Mon 23-Jul-07 13:18:28

I think it sounds really nauseating. There are lots of ways to give 4 year olds and their parents a good send off without that nonsense.
PrettyCandles, our playgroup has a little event pretty much like you describe. Special enough for the children and their families but not over the top.

EmmaLC Tue 24-Jul-07 11:03:54

Hi, my son does not leave pre-school till next year (he isn't 4 till 10th Sept), but at the end of term they held a concert for all parents, friends etc. The children who where leaving, recieved certificates in a presentation, it was really sweet. Although they didn't wear gowns they all had hats that they had made at school.

MyEye Tue 24-Jul-07 11:08:22

dd's montessori did this (the mortar boards were made out of sugar paper, tho): bonkers. the children had no idea what was going on.

bundle Tue 24-Jul-07 11:21:05

dd2's nursery does this, I thought it was quite sweet

puppydavies Tue 24-Jul-07 11:41:30

ours did this, they made their mortar boards out of coloured paper and had a little ceremony where they were given their work books for the year and a uniform sweatshirt for big school next year. i admit i was a little at the idea but in practice it was sweet (and not even slightly poncy). the kids really enjoyed it and was nice way for them to say goodbye to teacher/tas (who had been in dd's words like mums) and to involve parents too.

DangerousBeans Tue 24-Jul-07 11:42:33

<<shudder>>

oliveoil Tue 24-Jul-07 11:43:37

dd1 did this and it was lovely

all the staff close to tears, children beaming

what is not to like?

you grumpy old gits

puppydavies Tue 24-Jul-07 11:43:59

can someone explain why they find it so terrible?

oliveoil Tue 24-Jul-07 11:44:44

(some people had camcorders but all you will hear on their soundtrack is me hissing at dd2 to SIT DOWN NOW 20 times)

DangerousBeans Tue 24-Jul-07 11:45:13

Not keen on treating children like mini-adults.
Or mini-teenagers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now