Talk

Advanced search

Worried DS isn't making friends

(9 Posts)
Charlee Fri 29-Jun-07 13:58:50

Ds (2.9) goes to playschool 3 time a week just for the morning. He has been going since last September and seems to really enjoy it.

He is one of the youngest there and there is quite a few older kids between 3-5.

I am worried he isn't making fieds very well, there has been a couple of parties that he hasn't been invited to even though some of the other younger boys have.

Plus in the morning when we go in all the other kids are running sbout playing with each other but DS doesn't join in and the other kids don't really acknowlage him.

DS is alot smaller than all the other children as he has cf so i don't know if that makes the other kids wary of him at all?

It's parents day next week so i will be speaking to his key worker, but i need cheering up untill then, it breaks my heart to think of him playing all alone or being thought of as different.

Charlee Fri 29-Jun-07 14:22:12

Any experiences with this sort of thing would be helpfull to hear.

Celery Fri 29-Jun-07 14:26:08

He's still very young, I'm sure he will make friends in time. Some children, boys in particular, just aren't that interested in other children for a while. They all develop at different paces, and some become more social quicker than others. My DS was similar, I think. He started having friends around about 4, maybe a little earlier. Even now, aged 6 and a half, he only has a couple of really good friends.

Oblomov Fri 29-Jun-07 14:26:45

How many boys in the class charlee ? Ds is 3.5 and I have noticed in the last 6 mths that the older boys, (just about to go to school in sept) are quite alot more mature. I get the impression that the older boys only just about tolerate the younger boys - I mean I don't think it is your ds or my ds, just a general thing.
No need to wait till parents evening. Give the keyworker a ring, this afternoon - they really won't mind. Do it now, don't ponder and worry all over the weekend. Keyworkers get asked these thing all the time. Believe me.

Ulysees Fri 29-Jun-07 14:28:25

Don't worry ds2 was like this. He was a bit rough with other kids though, hence billy no mates

He'll soon make friends. I felt the same as you though, it really pangs at your heart strings Now he's so popular and goes to an average amount of parties for his age (6)

Oblomov Fri 29-Jun-07 14:28:54

'Friends', is different from 'playing alongside' aswell. But, your ds should be aknowledged, and invited to parties. None of us could bare the idea of our little one not being included in play / the group, could we ?

Celery Fri 29-Jun-07 14:32:23

My DS was never invited to parties at preschool, and to be honest I don't think he even noticed at that age, let alone minded. I minded though. When he started school though, the party invites started coming in, so I had been worrying over nothing. The party thing seemed to happen a lot younger with the girls than the boys.

Charlee Fri 29-Jun-07 14:32:32

There are about 7 other boys who are older and are starting 'big' school in Sept, then there are about 3 boys his age. There are about 8 girls in the pre school i think they are all older to.

I thought he wasn't getting invited to parties and things becuase he was younger than them but i know that some of the younger boys have been invited to the latest one so i figure it can't be that.

He does tell me he is friends with a few of the girls that go there im not sure if he is becuase he says all sorts of things one day then somethign different the nex, but they are leaving in sept anyway and if he is telling me the truth i am worried he wont have any firends when they do.

Charlee Fri 29-Jun-07 14:36:05

He doesn't nnotice or care he is happy to go in and goes off with one of the teachers and plays with them. I know he does play they tell me he does but im not sure if he actually gets involved with the other hildren or if he has a group of firends, o iss he to young for that? I may just be being a worried mum for all i know hes just not fiends with the boys who have had parties????

I suppose im not going to know untill i speak to his key worker but i have been getting my self in a right tizz worrying that he is left out of things!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now