Talk

Advanced search

Putting down DD for a school?

(11 Posts)
Filzma Sat 25-Nov-17 22:36:24

Hey y'all. First time mum and not entirely familiar with school systems in the UK. My DD is 14 months and just thinking of putting her into kindergarten/nursery and apparently there's a wait list. Do people apply or 'put down names' at birth?

How about school? What age does she join? She was born in August? Do I need to apply now? I'm really confused about all this. I'm not late, am I?

katycb Sun 26-Nov-17 18:08:16

First don't panic at all about school. You can't apply until the autumn before she would start so that would be autumn 2019 to start the following September. For a school Nursery she can start from the term after her 3rd birthday so have a look when you feel ready and put her me down but applications won't be until she is at least 2. For private nurseries they often take from birth so you could send her now but you would have to pay until there term after her 3rd birthday (some people get funding from 2 but only if you are on certain benefit or the child has sen) hope this helps kx

Filzma Mon 27-Nov-17 06:01:44

Thank you so much katy! Made lots of sense and weight off my shoulder lifted. Xx

rhocfan1 Mon 04-Dec-17 21:19:23

Hi. We put our daughters name down at our chosen school when she was 6 weeks of age. She went to a pre school when she was 2 and then in Jan this year she started at the school we'd chosen. Earlier the better I'd say. We've just chosen four schools for our daughter for full time in sept. You tend to have to put their name down as soon as you can as a lot of schools now are oversubscribed.

BackforGood Tue 05-Dec-17 22:34:59

The difference is if you are talking about state school - which is free to all - or Private school where places are paid for by the parents.
katycb is absolutely right for state school.
rhocfan1 OTOH is talking about Private school. In the UK I think it is only about 7% of folk that go to Private school so it really is very unusual for most of the UK. You do get skewed figures in some small areas however.

rhocfan1 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:09:01

She mentioned school places..I assumed she meant state school as private was never mentioned??

minipie Wed 06-Dec-17 10:19:11

Private primary schools = register asap

State primary = you don't need to do anything till the year before she will start (which is the September after she turns four).

However you might want to look into what the schools near you are like and what is their admission policy and catchment area - in other words are you likely to get her into a school you are happy with. If not you may wish to consider moving before school application time...

Nursery, do you mean daycare nursery or preschool?

BackforGood Wed 06-Dec-17 19:15:32

Well, in that case Rhoc - you can't put your child's name down at 6 weeks. Or indeed, at any time until the school admissions window opens in the Autumn before thy start Reception.

rhocfan1 Thu 07-Dec-17 21:40:17

We called the school when she was 6 weeks old and expressed an interest in their nursery. They took her name. She attended a private pre school at 2 years old and then when it came time to start school nursery we were sent a letter offering her a place in the afternoons so yes, you can put their name down for school nursery as early as you like. I've also worked in schools since 2005 so I'm aware of how it works. She actually had her name down for two diff schools but luckily the one we wanted contacted us first.

PatriciaHolm Sat 09-Dec-17 17:28:15

I think there is confusion about nursery vs reception here. For state school reception, you cannot put your name down early. Admissions open the autumn before the sept intake, and there is no way to apply earlier than that. All applications received by closing date are treated equally.

Nurseries operate different systems, and private schools are different again. For nurseries and private school, you need to check the individual requirements.

Filzma Tue 12-Dec-17 10:18:54

Thank you so much ladies!! In theory I knew there's private and public schools but didn't know the which I needed to put down names for. I know I could google but what is reception? Is that kindergarten?
Nursery is optional right? I'm going back to uni next year and want to leave DD at nursery.
Then reception?pre school?
Then primary school? What ages?
Sorry guys.

Also someone mentioned checking the schools in my catchment area...how do I check for quality of school and how well they do? Is there a rating of schools site? Or just word of mouth? I'd like to move early on if possible.

Thank you so much!! I appreciate all your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now